Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Memory Upgrade for T23 (2647-2TU)

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
BruisedQuasar

Memory Upgrade for T23 (2647-2TU)

#1 Post by BruisedQuasar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:06 pm

I just received and installed a PNY 512MB PC133 memory module in my refurbished T23. It came a month ago from IBM with 2 -128MB IBM modules installed. I run W2K, Wi-Fi , & high speed broad band. I was happy with the notebook. Now, I am thrilled. Compared to the 256MB, it runs like a rocket now, on and off the Web. I do not use it for games. 640MB total 'RAM' is a must do upgrade for users like me who do everything but games!

I highly recommend doing something that was not possible when I bought memory from Crucial. All the major memory makers have a web site now and they have "configurator' program that tells you exactly what module to order. Crucial prices are higher than any maker-seller or reseller I know of and they do not make or carry several modules that other firms like Kingston, PNY or Viking make.

Pick your memory maker, go to their site and use their 'configurator'
to get the exact manufacturer number for the module that works in your specific notebook and the PC maker part number. All of them include links to a few major resellers. The sites include reseller item numbers as well as manufacturer numbers.

Bruised
The More I Learn, the Less I Think I Know
The Less I Think I Know, the More I Learn
I'M... Still Learning
--Bruised

LtTPfan

#2 Post by LtTPfan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:59 pm

One of my sons has long recommended dealram.com and pricewatch.com for finding the lowest prices on memory. I was just looking for laptop memory yesterday and was most impressed with the prices I found at dealram. For instance, 512MB for T30 starts at $38.95 shipped compared to eBay buy-it-now prices starting at $54.50 shipped.

Shack80

#3 Post by Shack80 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:27 am

I will stick with companies I trust, like Crucial and Newegg for my ram and other stuff. Sites like Dealram and price watch are usefull, but I am not wiling to trust the lowest bidder with out some reference.

BruisedQuasar

#4 Post by BruisedQuasar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:53 am

LtTPfan wrote:One of my sons has long recommended dealram.com and pricewatch.com for finding the lowest prices on memory.
Thank you for the info about DealRam and PriceWatch

I do not think the choices are pay highest or pay lowest price as some think. I avoid absolute lowest price resellers who sell through auction sites like eBay, UNLESS I know the seller, or the seller has a 99.7% or higher feedback rating and at least a few thousand sales.

I will not pay highest price from sellers like Crucial or UsedHandhelds.Com because I do not find that neccessary to play it safe. In addition, manufacturers like Crucial do not make and sell every type of Module.

For instance, I needed mem for a Compaq Presario 12XL410 that I gave my daughter. Crucial only goes as high as 128MB and they wanted more for it than another top mem maker PNY wants for the 256MB module I needed to max out the Compaq. Kingston and Viking also make modules for the 12XL410 but Tigerdirect had the best price for the PNY model. So I went with PNY

Crucial- unlike PNY, Kingston, Viking, and a few others- does not refer (link) buyers to any resellers who sell their memory at significantly lower prices than they do. Unless you are a volume buyer, you always overpay (when you have a choice) when you buy parts or products from a manufacturer.

It would be silly for a manufacturer to undersell their own suggested retail prices, which is always the high dream price. Only competitive retailers sell significantly below manufacturer suggested retail.

A final note. As Crucial likes to boast, Kingston, Viking & PNY memory chips are made by Crucial, as are most of the top brand memory module chips. Crucial is the world's largest quality memory chip maker. Crucial even makes many of the notebook mem modules that are branded by other "makers".

I know LTTPFAN did not question the wisdom of trying to save money on mem but some others have.

...Of course, all of this is merely my humble opinion

--Bruised
The More I Learn, the Less I Think I Know
The Less I Think I Know, the More I Learn
I'M... Still Learning
--Bruised