Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T30 Bluetooth & Modem Confusion

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Pavarotti

T30 Bluetooth & Modem Confusion

#1 Post by Pavarotti » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:10 pm

My T30 has both Bluetooth (via a 12P3872 / BDC01), and 802.11b (via a 91P7214, aka "High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem II).

So far so good. Everything is working ok, but I'd like to upgrade to the Intel Pro/2915abg. But I'll lose my modem if I do this, so I think I'll have to also upgrade my Bluetooth card to a 91P7315 / BMDC200, which apparently has an integrated modem.

I think that this combination should work in a T30, but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone knows of problems, please let me know.

Now to my confusion: Looking inside my unmodified T30, it seems that the modem cable is currently connected to the Bluetooth card, and NOT to the "High Rate Wireless with Modem II" card. This makes no sense to me at all, and I've not been able to find a good explanation. The excellent thinkwiki.org article on the 12P3872 even says that the card "has a three pin connector used for currently unknown purposes".

Can anyone explain what's going on? Thanks!