thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:06 pm 

I’ve completely formatted my hard drive. No recovery partition, no drivers, no utilities. (Tough luck) :( Now I’m looking for anyone to help me to restore my recovery partition. I’ve been to www.ibm.com for many times. I’ve collected all drivers and utilities for t23 win XP and 2000. I was using IBM Rapid Restore Ultra to do the partition but it was not like the original one. Is it possible to get the original preload partition (with Windows XP or 2000) from any one of you out there, guys! I really need it! It is the sh%tty place I’m leaving in and can’t get the original preload CD from “IBM” by post. The only think I have in here is Internet and you, guys. Please, help me with this one. I also need the original configuration files for my T23 (autoexec.bat, command.com etc.). I’m glad I’ve found this forum and I really hope to get help in here. Waiting for soon reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:31 pm 
Admin
Admin

You should be able to get the recovery CD from IBM. You will have to pay, but it should be available. If not, then you need a full 2000 or XP Pro package from Microsoft. If this is what you do, go to another computer, get the Network and Video drivers from IBM and put them on a CD. Then install 2000 or XP. If you need network and video, you have them. Once you can see (video) and have network, go to IBM and download whatever drivers you need. Should work, but you will not be able to get licensed drivers like CD or DVD.

Good luck. ... jdhurst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:09 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Contact Bill (Bill@thinkpads.com). I guess he has a copy of a Win2k Recovery CD for T23. Check out this thread (the bottom of the page and next page). He might burn one for you. Until that, here are the instructions how to install XP on T23: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-44842 and 2k http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4Z7GY7

Regards,
G-Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:27 am 

Thank you, guys! I really appreciate you help. Those links you gave me... is there any thing more on the Internet about installing OS on ThinkPad T23? What I also whanted to have is the original (T23) configuration files for XP and 2000Pro. Could you please help me with that. Best regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:19 am 

G-Man´s links are sufficient. The IBM instructions are very accurate and complete. What do you need more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:33 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Uzer,

What do you mean when you say original configuration files for XP/2000 Pro? All the drivers are downloadable from IBM site (see the links above). The only thing you won't get are the DVD player and some other applications, but if you get the origonal Recovery CD from Bill, you will have those progs as well. You can save them on another CD, and you can do a fresh XP install (if you prefer XP over 2k).

Regards,
G-Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:38 am 

I need those autoexec.bat command.com config.sys win.ini system.ini as they appear straight after OS installed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:44 am 

You shouldn't need those files on an NT based install, they are only needed by MS-DOS, Windows 1.x-3.x, Windows 95-98-ME. (And other oprating systems like DR-DOS, PC-DOS etc.).

They may exist, such as win.ini but they are there for legacy support.

- Read my blog: http://www.lilserenity.com