Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New Display Touches The Keyboard

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
singbad
Freshman Member

New Display Touches The Keyboard

#1 Post by singbad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 am

Hi,
I've replaced display and keyboard on a T30 and I'm now getting pressure marks on the new display pane. May I have missed some washers or spacers? Can I somehow adjust the height of the hinges or do something else to increase the clearance between the display and the keyboard?

I know this has been discussed before but I haven't found satisfying answers.

TIA,
Singbad (not the seafarer)
sent from my HEART using the BRAIN app

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Display Touches The Keyboard

#2 Post by tfflivemb2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:52 am

It goes without saying that pressure marks are the result of pressure on the back of the screen. In my experience, it has come from one of these examples:
1. pressure on the back of the lid (ie. heavy book on top of the laptop, or laptop squeezed into a tight space like a backpack)
2. cables not sitting right behind the LCD, forcing the LCD forward, and into the keyboard when closed.
3. the LCD was replaced with an LCD that is thicker than the original, or designed differently, so that the back of the lid forces the LCD forward.

For #3, I replaced an LCD once, using an LCD from a different series. (I want to say from a iSeries into a T20) and the inside of the T20 lid had this criss cross pattern going on that pushed the screen forward. I ended up shaving down the plastic to make the LCD sit flush. I have also seen LCDs that vary in thickness, that have caused issues. (this was between a Compaq and a Dell, I believe)

singbad
Freshman Member

#3 Post by singbad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Unfortunately I don't have another LCD option. But I tried another keyboard, 8k4619 instead of 8k4645. It appears to be thinner or may be it fits better into the bezel and thus sits slightly lower. I have no means of measuring the key level other than by trying so I wetted the keys with window cleaner and closed the lid, applied some pressure and opened again. No wet spots so far but I realized I can still move the lid about 1 mm up and down with the latches snapped in. So I fixed a little piece of rubber at the central front point where a tongue of the lid fits into some kind of pit in the bezel and that's it.
sent from my HEART using the BRAIN app

sncdrvr

#4 Post by sncdrvr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:55 am

Every pressure mark I've seen is due from incorrectly installed keyboard or palmrest not fitted correctly into the base(under the screen/lid, look at rear of base carefully and the small rectangular holes should be filled with corresponding tabs of the palmrest). Note that just sliding the rear of keyboard in under the rear of the palmrest and installing the 2 screws isnt correct. Before installing the screws the keyboard must then be pulled towards the user(use fingernails on solid mounted plastic bar between space bar and cursor click buttons) such that keyboard edge fits under tabs of palmrest. May have to push keyboard edge down with small screwdriver to get it under those tabs. Then keep tension on it and install the 2 screws, being careful not to overtighten as over-tightening can damage the system board video components. I've got boards I can "fix" or "break" depending on keyboard screw tightening.