Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Ubuntu running on old IBM ThinkPad T21

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
IBM

Ubuntu running on old IBM ThinkPad T21

#1 Post by IBM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey all,

Finally pulled out my old T21 that haven't been using all that much. Decided to wipe Windows off of it, and test out the latest Ubuntu Linux release (11.04), and I must say, it runs fairly smooth. The only complaint I would have is when I close the laptop and it goes into standby, it only goes into standby for about 3 seconds, then wakes back up again. Although, that might be an issue with the laptop itself. My T21 is in rather nice physical condition, with the occasional scratch and what not. There are two cracks in the plastic, but they are very minor, so they don't pose much of a problem. In the next post, when I get off work, I will put some pictures of it running linux.

IBM

doctor bloomquist
Freshman Member

Re: Ubuntu running on old IBM ThinkPad T21

#2 Post by doctor bloomquist » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:20 am

I would be very interested if you could post how you got the trackpoint working (if you're using it). I couldn't get trackpoint scrolling to work on my T23 with Ubuntu Netbook Edition no matter what I threw at it. Blogpost here http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com ... nners.html.
Thinkcentre A60

Thinkpad T23~Type 2648
P3 1133Mhz~768Mb ram~20gb Hd~14" 1024x768 Lcd~BG2200 Int. Wifi~Flat blob trackpoint~GDR8081N DVDROM that makes a horrible retro floppy noise on bootup

XP Pro SP3