thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T61p battery problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm 
Freshman Member

Hi,

I just bought 15" T61p from ebay. It comes with original 6 cell battery (42 cycles, good condition, started to use in 2008).

The problem is when using on battery after about 10 - 15 minutes laptop shut down and it can not power up, even with AC plugged in. I have to remove battery and take it back. When using on AC, no issue is present.

IMO it is battery issue, what do you think ?

Post subject: Re: T61p battery problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:10 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

It could be a bad system board, in which case getting a reliable one would be problematic, but the easiest way to tell is to substitute a known good battery.

ps. If you have the option to return the laptop I'd consider that. T61p is a great laptop, but most system boards sold online have a reflowed or baked gpu and will fail again. Also, it's a 15.4", not 15". The 15 inch was last offered on the T60.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:05 am 
Freshman Member

The seller dont accept returns. I still hope this is battery issue. I will full charge battery and test it again. My battery is in 100% charge and it is still charging for about 1:30 hrs. It is strange.

The seller told me:

Quote:
The battery issue you describe is has happened to all Lenovo laptops I have worked with so far. It only happens sometimes when battery is running out of power.
Removing the battery and putting it back in resolves the problem and the laptop runs happy.
Buying a new battery at some point may help, but just like I said - the issue happens even with the newest Lenovo laptops.

ps: you are right it is not 15", but 15,4", pretty good resolution.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

If this problem wasn't disclosed in the ebay listing, then it doesn't matter if he accepts returns, you can file a dispute for "not as described"

As for his claim that "all thinkpads do this", that is a load of BS, I've owned dozens of T61 models, currently have at least ten here now and not one has this problem. I wouldn't be able to properly diagnose the problem without trying a new battery, but if I were you I'd open a dispute, you don't have much to lose and whatever you do, don't attempt any repairs or ebay won't consider it to be in the same condition it was received.

If you win the dispute (which is likely), you'll get a full refund including shipping, but will have to pay for return shipping.