Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What is a good T61 spec?

T60/T61 Series
dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: What is a good T61 spec?

#31 Post by dr_st » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:13 am

TuuS wrote:They also have good viewing angles, perhaps the viewing angles are better on a new flexview screen, but I don't get why that is such a big deal
The vertical viewing angles is where IPS screens significantly outshine TNs (especially laptop TNs). For me it translates to a more pleasant experience reading text, since there are no differences in brightness and colors between the top and bottom halves of the screen.
Last edited by dr_st on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#32 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am

Honestly, I care far more about the aspect ratio than the color quality and viewing angles. The latter two are nice -- and all other things being equal I'll certainly prefer a nice IPS panel to a TN one -- but there's no denying that a 4:3 screen is a better fit for my workflow.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#33 Post by TuuS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 am

This is an interesting discussion. I can certainly see advantages to both. I do admit the T60p I now own looks amazing when I have a high resolution wallpaper on my screen, but if I call that a "10", then I'd still say my Widescreen is a 9.5, so it's not a huge difference. I can also see that there is some (very faint) brightness difference in vertical angles on the WS.

As for the aspect ratios, I can see merit in both, and my primary reason for liking the WS is for watching video. HD movies and TV fit perfect in the WS, where the 4:3 I used to find myself adjusting the pan n scan settings to try to use more of the screen, but then losing some on the edges.

One very important consideration is service life. It appears to me that the IPS just don't last as long, can anyone confirm that? I've never seen one of the WS show signs of aging, dullness, yellowing, pressure marks, etc. I've had over 50 of them, but maybe they do, and I've just not seen any.

rumbero

#34 Post by rumbero » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm

TuuS wrote:I do admit the T60p I now own looks amazing when I have a high resolution wallpaper on my screen, but if I call that a "10", then I'd still say my Widescreen is a 9.5, so it's not a huge difference.
Apart of the gorgeous viewing angles and display real estate, i was absolutely delighted about the fact that, unlike to the SXGA+ and WSXGA+ TN displays on my other two T61's, faint yellow color areas were finally easily distinguishable from white color areas with the T60's BOE Hydis UXGA display. This makes a huge difference if one actually does care about proper onscreen color reproduction.
TuuS wrote:As for the aspect ratios, I can see merit in both, and my primary reason for liking the WS is for watching video.
This surely applies when comparing WS to lower resolutions than 4:3 UXGA. In comparison to the UXGA display resolution, the only "advantage" when viewing movies would be the absence of those big black stripes above and below the movie. For me this hardly counts as relevant, as the horizontal screen size is fair enough for watching any movie, and the additional vertical pixels are very welcome for my work requirements. Since the machine is used 99.99% for work, watching movies doesn't matter at all. But to each his own. ;)
TuuS wrote:It appears to me that the IPS just don't last as long, can anyone confirm that?
The LG-Philips produced SXGA+ IPS display of the T60 generation are known to go dull much too early, but which is due to a known low quality back light tube. The BOE Hydis UXGA IPS displays are much better in this regard, and if one is able to replace an aged back light tube after some years of service life, than the display becomes almost like new. For some further details, please also see the following threads: Yellowing UXGA's and Flexview T60 panel brightness.
TuuS wrote:I've never seen one of the WS show signs of aging, dullness, yellowing, pressure marks, etc. I've had over 50 of them, but maybe they do, and I've just not seen any.
As written above, the dullness/yellowing is largely a matter of the back light tube, and differs between the various types of IPS displays. Replacing this tube after a few years of service life largely remedies this, but as has been reported also here, unlike for the BOE Hydis UXGA panel, replacing the tube in an LG-Phillips display is next to impossible. Replacing the back light tube is not for the faint of heart, but due to the scarcity/inavailability of suitable replacement panels on the market there is no other alternative, unfortunately.

The absence or presence of pressure marks surely is not related to the LCD type. At least for the T6x generation, the absence of pressure marks is largely a matter of a reinforced display cover in the T60, and the introduction of a display roll cage with the T61. The latter is a wonderful protection against pressure marks, and a main reason why i prefer the T61 for mobility. In comparison, i do hate the design of the far older T23 display cover because it appears to be designed mainly for producing LCD pressure marks. ;)
A few 14.1" and 15" T61+ Frankenpads and one T480