Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpat T61 type:7659-ab7 wireless problem

T60/T61 Series
titanium

Thinkpat T61 type:7659-ab7 wireless problem

#1 Post by titanium » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:32 am

Hello!

I am having problems with WiFi card. The card is 4965AG.

So over the night the wireless stop working. There was no way that i could connect to my wifi.

It always said that the connection is having limited access. But the internet was working fine with my other laptop.

I bought a new mini WiFi card and it is also not working. The Windows not recognize it.

So i have 2 Wireless card which are not working. (one is recognized by the W7 the other one not!)

Is there problem in cables or where should i look for the problem?

Thanks in advance

phubai

Re: Thinkpat T61 type:7659-ab7 wireless problem

#2 Post by phubai » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Since your other laptop is connecting (wirelessly?) just fine, the problem seems to be either the location of your computer (too far from router, EMI/RFI), or your router is not configured correctly to accommodate your PC. Did you change the security method or key? Is it possible someone has changed the configuration of your router to include MAC filtering and the exclusion of all but indicated MAC addresses? Do you receive your LAN IP address dynamically, or have you created a manually assigned IP in your TCP/IP properties? Can you see your router when you view available wireless networks? And finally, are you entering your security key in correctly? It is case sensitive of course and make sure you aren't including a space either before or after the key you enter.
Thinkpad X61
minihack

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by TuuS » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 am

I think there is a very good chance all you needed to do was power off your router and all computers, then reboot them all. I've seen the problem you report many times and rebooting the network will usually fix it, but you could indeed have a unique problem.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:30 am

The quality of your router is also important.
I run only ASUS routers.
My current RT-N16 (with Tomato Firmware) has now been up 159 days without rebooting (bought in September 2011).
The previous ASUS WL-520GU router had been up (uninterrrupted) for nearly 3 years and was only replaced because I wanted wifi-N and Gigabit ethernet.
Both routers have USB for an external printer and/or NAS.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine