Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Creating a dusl boot HD Windows 7 32 and Windows 7 64 bit OS

T60/T61 Series
bighank
Freshman Member

Creating a dusl boot HD Windows 7 32 and Windows 7 64 bit OS

#1 Post by bighank » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 pm

I have a 750 GB HD with one bootable partition of Windows 7 32 bit OS using 320 GB space. Was cloned from a HD that was physically 320 GB. Still have 400 GB unallocated space on the HD. HD is currently in a ultrabay and I can boot from either the internal 320 GB HD or the 320 GB partition on the 750 GB HD.
Can put the Ultrabay in either a T61 or T61P laptop.
Have the 64 bit install DVD for Windows 7 and would like to install it on the unpartitioned space on my 750 GB HD using some or all of the 400 GB unpartitioned space.
How do I create the dual boot system on the Ultrabay 750 GB harddrive?

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Creating a dusl boot HD Windows 7 32 and Windows 7 64 bit OS

#2 Post by TuuS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 am

I believe I answered this already in another forum, but windows will setup the boot manager when it installs, there is nothing you need to do... fully automated.

You will however be running at a slower speed having the harddrive installed in an ultrabay. Also, if you're going to be swapping the operating system from a T61 to a T61p, the different graphics system will likely cause your windows activation to break each time you switch, but if you use systems with the same graphics, you won't have this problem.