thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Palmrest/mouse problem
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 am 
Sophomore Member

My mouse-buttons at the bottom of the palmrest are failing. I have moved the little rubber from the right mousebutton to the left, that leaves me with only a left mouse-button functioning, so I have ordered a new palmrest.
In the meantime I would like to make the other set of mouse-buttons (the ones over the bottom ones) and the red tracking button active. I think I might have disabled these myself, but now I do not seem to be able to find the utility to use to reactivate them.
I seem to remember that there was something called configuration utility, but that is not there - i'm running win7.
I will be very thankfull for help!

Hans-Henrik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:13 pm 

Did you try the mouse properties in control panel, where you can enable/disable the trackpoint or trackpad?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

If you would like to replace the touchpad assembly it's very easy, or you can replace the whole palmrest. I have the touchpad assemblies if your interested, but the cost of international shipping would be more the the part itself, so you might want to look locally.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:26 am 
Sophomore Member

Thank you very much for the answers. I have taken the palmrest off, the fault seems to be broken plastic on the underside of the left mouse button. So indeed I will need a new palmrest or just the trackpad assembly. I might be able to find them locally.
In the meantime, to use the Thinkpad I looked for ways of activation of the other set of tools, eg. the trackpoint and mouse-buttons under the keyboard.
After endless googleing I finally found the solution to this: Fn + F8 brings up a menu where these can be activated - simple but impossible to find!