thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T60 RAM Problem/Help
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm 

So, I am using T60 for a month or so, it came from my brother who works for IBM. The problem is it isssssssss literally as slow as turtle. I am not satisfied by it's performance, even general surfing is slow. A friend of mine told me to change my RAM so yesterday I went to a PC scrap shop and there are a lot of choices. Can somebody help me to decide whether what type of RAM should I buy? There are 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, etc and 1333 mhz, 667 mhz, I don't understand anything about them. Please somebody help me. It is really annoying to use a sloooooooooooooooow thinkpad! Thanks in advance to the helpful people on this website.

Last edited by ihanna on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: T60 RAM Problem/Help
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Your T60 will take PC2-5300 DDR2-SDRAM memory at 333 MHz in 200-pin SO-DIMM form-factor. PC2-5300 memory is also called DDR2-667. It has two RAM slots, and can take up to 2x2GB sticks for a total of 4GB, but there is a chipset limitation that will only allow a maximum of about 3.2GB to be used by the system. Some will say that it is best to install only 3GB because of this.

So, how much RAM is installed now? And, what OS are you running on there? If the machine is responding as slowly as you say, there may be something else wrong with it other than low RAM.

Post subject: Re: T60 RAM Problem/Help
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:08 pm 

Slowness can often be more related to the hard drive than the memory. You might want to run a diagnostic on the hard drive to ensure it's working properly.