Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60...Do I need a new motherboard?

T60/T61 Series
rayme52

T60...Do I need a new motherboard?

#1 Post by rayme52 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I recently purchased a Thinkpad T60 2008-VEP/CTO Laptop from a forum member at this posting: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 87&start=0 .

DESCRIPTION
Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz T2500
ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 512MB Video/128MB dedicated
Mobile Intel Wireless A,B,G 945GM/945PM Card
14.1 SXGA+ 1400x1050 Screen
2GB Memory RAM
100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
9 cell battery
Windows XP Professional 32 bits
Loaded with Windows Office 2007 Pro Full Software
Cyberlink PowerDVD and Adobe Software
Fingerprint Scanner Security
Dual PCI options slot (PCI and PCI express)
Three USB 2.0 Ports
DVD Multi II Burner
6-in-1 SD Card/Memory/Media Card Reader

CONDITION:
This T60 was used by me but remains in MINT cosmetic and fully working Condition!
It comes loaded with Office 2007 Pro Software and will be ready to go online and use as soon as you turn it on.
It was recently updated with new ThinkVantage Lenovo April 2012 updates.
This Laptop is 100% damage FREE with very minimal markings to the lid top and corners and everything works 100%.

When I received the T60 and powered it up a black screen come on with a padlock symbol and blinking dash. Per instructions from seller I was to type 'winxp' and hit enter. After that a 'client security and log onto windows' windows came up and to just hit enter or click OK. So then I was into Windows and on the internet OK, but if I would change something like how I wanted the Trackpoint buttons to work, would be back to original positions after a reboot. Because I had to go through this laborious start up procedure each time I powered up and some erratic behavior I purchased a set of Rescue & Recovery Discs and did a clean install.
After the install the start up procedure hadn't changed and when I went into the BIOS I couldn't turn off or change the Security Chip because I was not the Administrator. I have no control of anything in the BIOS. Lenovo support said that someone had put in a BIOS password and since the T60 is not under warranty it would cost $575 to put in a new motherboard!
All I want is the laptop to turn on normally. I have asked the seller for a password or to return it for a refund. I have not had any response back.

Two questions. 1) Do I need a new motherboard to fix this and is it something I can do myself and cheaper? 2) Should the seller have stated this condition and can I ask for a refund or is it buyer beware?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: T60...Do I need a new motherboard?

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:58 pm

You have a Supervisor password on that T60.

Changing the motherboard is the only advice that we're allowed to give on the forum. Everything else that exists is beyond its scope.

BTW, a used motherboard for a T60 is well under $100.

The BIOS lock "detail" should've been disclosed in the listing. Most definitely.

Once the CMOS battery dies, the laptop becomes a brick unless you know the Supervisor password if one is set. No ifs, ands or buts. Dead dog.

I suggest that you discuss your options with the seller, and if necessary with the forum elders.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Check the 'new messages' at the top of this page.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

rayme52

#4 Post by rayme52 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 am

Thank you for the replies and PM. I will take your advice and try to contact seller again to see if we can come up with a solution.