thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am 

I bought my refurbished t60p few years ago and it came with a 65W ac adapter.

Few weeks ago the 65w adapter cable got damaged so I bought a new genuine
90W ac adapter because there was no price difference and I know that the t60p originally comes with the 90W adapter.

So i tried it out and shortly after start up the computer began to randomly restart loop. I sent the 90w adapter back and got a replacement. Connected the replacement without switching the computer off and it worked nicely for a week and because I like to leave my computer on hibernate I havent restarted for some time.
So today I restart my computer with the 90W adapter without the battery installed
and the computer loads until the login screen and then switches off. Tried several times and happened every time.

With my poorly repaired 65w adapter everything works normally.
Because its already my second adapter the fault must be with my computer, but I have
no idea what could be wrong.

Last edited by cannon on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 am 
RBS10000
RBS10000

A T60p should have the 90W adapter, not the 65W.
Check the adapter plug and the laptop's socket, that the center pin and it's receptacle are straight and not pushing something to the side.
The fault would seem to be in the adapter (or plug), rather than on the motherboard.
See also this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=96242

I have seen sockets without the yellow round piece in the middle! This is how it should be:

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 pm 

The adapter plug on my working 65w is the same as on the 90w and the laptop socket is
the same as the picture you posted. Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like the plugs are good.

If I start up my computer with my 65w adapter then everything works. If I then put the computer
to hibernate and switch over to 90w and turn the computer on it loads and works OK.

But if I try Shut Down/Turn On or Restart with the 90w it loads until the fingerprint pop up window, then i see my wallpaper loading and shortly after that , always at the same moment, it switches off.

It looks like the computer recognizes with the fresh restart that a different adapter is attached but it doesnt perform this check when coming out of hibernation. I will try different power and start up settings tomorrow and see if I can get a better understanding of the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 pm 
RBS10000
RBS10000

Don't swap adapters while the machine is on or in hibernation.
Switch if off completely, then remove both battery and adapter.
Now do a "reset": press the power button and hold it down for a second, repeat this 9 more times, then hold it down once more, but for 30 seconds.
This 'clears' any charges in the laptop's capacitors.
Plug in only the 90W adapter and try booting from it, that should work.
If OK, switch off, insert battery and reboot. Should still work.
Now stick with the 90W if it all works.
The power management software knows what type adapter is connected, but might have problems 'adapting' if/when you put in a different 'strength' adapter.
Let us know.

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

One other thought is the type of 90w adapters you're getting. There are brand new ones on the market that are Lenovo branded and I believe they are produced by a 3rd party, basically generic junk with a lenovo label. I suspect if you get an original 90w adapter you'll be fine.

If you're interested, I can get originals in excellent condition for $16, or brand new originals that shipped with new laptops but were never used for $25 (these can't be purchased from lenovo).

Ideally it would be nice to try one on your laptop to make sure it fixes the problem, but if that wasn't possible then I'd go ahead and buy one from a reliable source, it never hurts to have a spare adapter so it would be money well spent even if you don't need it, and it would provide you with valuable diagnostic information. In other words you could do hundreds of $$$ of diagnostics on every part of your computer to confirm they are working properly before coming to the conclusion that your adapter is bad, or you could just plug a new one in, and have your answer instantly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:57 pm 

Amazing. The "reset" worked. Thank you so much RealBlackStuff :bow:

Thanks TuuS for your advice. Adapters are genuine, through a friend who worked in a local
shop that sells Lenovos. Only sad thing is that the first adapter I received was brand new
and the second one he got me, was the one they used in the shop and it is scratched :?