Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 w/ T61 motherboard Frankenpad — case warping

T60/T61 Series
edouard

T60 w/ T61 motherboard Frankenpad — case warping

#1 Post by edouard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi everyone, I've been working on a project Frankenpad (T60 1951C2U w/ Nvidia T61 motherboard) , and I've been running into an incredibly annoying issue. Check these images out:

The warping I'm experiencing is most notable in the second image, and I can't figure out just what's causing it. From the looks of it, the lid is remaining straight, and the body containing the chassis is warping downward, as if something is causing it to not sit correctly, and force the bottom of the case downward. Although the body of the computer does not touch whatever surface it is placed upon, my OCD is refusing to let this warping go.

I've taken apart this thing about three times already to attempt to figure out what's wrong, and the best hunch I have is that the connector cable from the LCD to the motherboard is not sitting correctly, as the chassis is not exact to the disassembly videos i've been using for reference.

If it helps, I can take apart the thing in order to illustrate what I mean, but if anyone has ay insight on this problem, or has experienced a similar issue, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T60 w/ T61 motherboard Frankenpad — case warping

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like you did not do the Frankenpad modification properly.
http://home.concepts.nl/~pc125480/t61_m ... 0_reds.jpg
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T60 w/ T61 motherboard Frankenpad — case warping

#3 Post by brchan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:33 pm

I doubt that a mis-aligned lcd connector would cause such warpage. If it did not sit properly on the motherboard, then you probably wouldn't be able to get the keyboard on without a big bulge towards the top left. It is more likely that incorrect frame modifications have severely weakened the structure. However, any thing is possible, and pictures, especially of the frame, would be most helpful in identifying the issue.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53