Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Docking station problem

T60/T61 Series
TheStranger2007

Docking station problem

#1 Post by TheStranger2007 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:04 am

Hello, I am getting unhappy results with my newly purchased docking station.

My thinkpad: ThinkPad T60 2007-C4U
Operating system: Vista Business (came originally with xp pro, recently i formatted, and installed Vista)
Description: T2500(2GHz), 1.5GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1400x1050, 64MB ATI Radeon X1300, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion batt

My docking station: ThinkPad Advanced Mini Dock with US/Canada/LA Line Cord

Anyway, wonderful things happen each time I dock or undock.
For example when I undock by hitting button1(this is a button on docking station that releases the comp software wise) and waiting for button2 to turn green (this means its safe to hit button2 which will release the laptop physically), my laptop freezes for a good 5 seconds or so after I have lifted it up. Then it resumes to my control.

Sometimes I get another wonderful surprise, like when I just docked my laptop, my ThinkPad trackpoint (red button thing in middle of keyboard) is not functioning. So I assume i have to restart to get it working. Obviously this is not wanted functionality.
(i just undocked and docked again to see if in any state it would resume working, but no go. so it is actually not working in either state now.. probably need restart)

Anybody have a problem like this ?

I know that the freezing thing didn't always happen. When I first had gotten it 2 weeks ago it was fine. It is just a recent thing. Perhaps because I had a lot of apps running? I have outlook, a few chat programs, WMP, eclipse, a couple of IE windows.

Oh perhaps another relevant piece of info is what i have connected to the dock. i have a printer and cam (both usb), lan connection, speakers. So each time i dock and undock it needs to disc itself from the USBs properly.

Thats all i can think of to share.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

foxchi

#2 Post by foxchi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:59 am

i think u lost install some driver.but i forgot which one,try to install IBM driver.download from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-62928

Find the driver that for Vista.
T60P-AC2 Intel T2500 2.00GHz 2048M 7K100 DVD-RW 15" UXGA 1600×1200 256M
ATI V5200

TheStranger2007

not probable

#3 Post by TheStranger2007 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:15 pm

It is not likely that i am missing a driver or my drivers old because i use the ThinkVantage System Updater 3.x which works with Vista and has downloaded & installed all the new drivers and software to my machine.

PhysicalEd

Re: Docking station problem

#4 Post by PhysicalEd » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:41 am

TheStranger2007 wrote:Hello, I am getting unhappy results with my newly purchased docking station.

My thinkpad: ThinkPad T60 2007-C4U
Operating system: Vista Business (came originally with xp pro, recently i formatted, and installed Vista)
Description: T2500(2GHz), 1.5GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1400x1050, 64MB ATI Radeon X1300, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion batt

My docking station: ThinkPad Advanced Mini Dock with US/Canada/LA Line Cord

Sometimes I get another wonderful surprise, like when I just docked my laptop, my ThinkPad trackpoint (red button thing in middle of keyboard) is not functioning. So I assume i have to restart to get it working. Obviously this is not wanted functionality.
(i just undocked and docked again to see if in any state it would resume working, but no go. so it is actually not working in either state now.. probably need restart)

Anybody have a problem like this ?

Any ideas?

Thank you.
All I can add is that at various times (but very rarely) I have had
the trackpoint disable itself. I have also had the keyboard become
unresponsive. In my case this seems more related to problems
resuming from suspend. I have also found that suspending and
immediatly after resuming seemed to reset these problems without
requiring a reboot (and thus having to shutdown all my work).

Once the keyboard was unresponsive after resuming from sleep
and I had to plug in a USB keyboard to be able to login, but it
came back after sleeping/waking again.

jkunysz

usb port dies

#5 Post by jkunysz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:59 am

I have a T60P with a docking station and randomly, my usb mouse will die. I have to unplug/plug the usb connection on the docking station for the mouse and then it works again.

have you found a solution for your problem?

killigrew
Freshman Member

#6 Post by killigrew » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I had also the Problem that the Trackpoint stoped working without any reason.
I fixed it by installing the generic Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.

cu :)

WPWoodJr

Re: Docking station problem

#7 Post by WPWoodJr » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:31 pm

TheStranger2007 wrote:Hello, I am getting unhappy results with my newly purchased docking station.

Sometimes I get another wonderful surprise, like when I just docked my laptop, ...
I also can't wait for my daily "surprise" when I dock my new ThinkPad T60p. I've been away from the office for a few weeks and my machine has been working great. When I came in today and docked, I lost all keyboard input. I still had the mouse though. I undocked and re-docked, hoping that would get the keyboard back, but I still had no keyboard and now I had no mouse either. As a result I had no way to put the machine in standby to recover the keyboard and mouse and I had to reboot by holding down the power key for 10 seconds.

I am going to call Lenovo support and if they have no solution I will be very mad. This is totally unacceptable.

WPWoodJr

#8 Post by WPWoodJr » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:44 pm

I called Lenovo and they had the gall to tell me that hot docking is not really supported! Unbelievable since I've been hot-docking Thinkpads for years and years. The support rep did agree to send me a new docking station but I doubt that will fix the problem. At least its a way to send a message to Lenovo, if everyone with this issue requests a new docking station. Perhaps there is a lawsuit here, if enough people are as upset as I am.