Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Retore disk content, look for X31 compatible

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
jhui

Retore disk content, look for X31 compatible

#1 Post by jhui » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 pm

My X31 has gone bad and will not try to access any hard disk. I have data in its original hard disk. I lost hope with it so it was given away except my hard disk.

Now I am trying to call all my friends if they have an X31 or compatible so that I can boot it up to retrieve my wanted data. I don't think I can simply use a USB adapter for IDE hard disk because my files are created under WinXP NTFS security. (the folder is only accessible by my domain account). And I hesitate trying because it may remove some of the boot files. I assume I must find a system that is compatible and can boot up a system allowing me to logon XP under my Windows Domain account.

So question is: other than X31, can someone tell me what other IBM notebook models I can try to insert my disk to and boot up WinXP? The company I work for has many different IBM X6 series, R4 series, T4 series that I can borrow to test with but I do not know which one may be compatible. I think this is my only viable option (to retrieve the file data) but if you think I have other solutions please let me know. Many thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Retore disk content, look for X31 compatible

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Check the web for Taking Ownership of files, that way you can access your HD data using any old USB 2.5" PATA enclosure.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Retore disk content, look for X31 compatible

#3 Post by jronald » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm

A T30 will probably also work.

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's