Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trouble Installing Kingston Ultimate CF as HDD in X41t

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
jsailorca

Trouble Installing Kingston Ultimate CF as HDD in X41t

#1 Post by jsailorca » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 pm

I recently bought an x41t (without HDD but with valid XP Tablet COA) hoping to install Kingston Ultimate 266x CF http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134796 as HDD.

Having read the sticky above that this CF would be recognized as fixed, I decided to purchase it. I also bought a CF card to IDE HD adapter which is very similar to this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compactfla ... e-44-10310

When I first plugged both the CF + the adapter to the IDE in X41t, I made an error that did NOT place the CF facing down and plug it upside down. I tried to boot and install Win XP Tablet (AIO DVD) several times and it would not see this drive (duh!).

I then reverse and put it in the correct orientation with CF facing down and it recognize Kingston FAT32 as the IDE slot during installation of Win XP Tablet. It prompted me to convert to NTFS which I entered and a quick scan was done on the CF and proceeds to prompt to restart computer. However, when I reboot, it still sees the CF as in FAT32 and again prompted me to convert to NTFS and again a quick scan was done and reboot. This loop went 3-4 times and did not provide an option to install the OS in FAT32.

I then tried to install in Win2k Server Edition and again the same loop happened. An error actually occurred during one of the reboot and it did not recognize the CF card. After power recycling, it again recognizes the CF as Kingston FAT32.

NOW a few questions:
Has the PATA adapter/controller on X41t board OR the CF card been damaged due to faulty orientation during the initial attempt?

Why did it not convert the CF card to NTFS format during installation?

Should I format the Kingston CF card to NTFS in using a card reader? Would this remove the

CF from “fixed” to “removable” due to this format?

Should I buy a recovery disc specifically for X41t instead of using the AIO DVD?

What should I do now?

Thanks

sjthinkpader
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Trouble Installing Kingston Ultimate CF as HDD in X41t

#2 Post by sjthinkpader » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Use a FDISK utility such as SuperFDISK first, then format it as NTFS.
T60p 2623-DDU/UXGA IPS/ATI V5200
T60 2623-DCU/SXGA+ IPS/ATI X1400
T43p 2668-H8U/UXGA IPS/ATI V3200
R50p 1832-NU1/UXGA IPS/ATI FireGL T2
X61t 7762-B6U dual touch IPS/64GB SSD
X32 2673-BU6/32GB SSD
755CDV 9545-GBK Transmissive Projection LCD

jsailorca

#3 Post by jsailorca » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:14 pm

sjthinkpader wrote:Use a FDISK utility such as SuperFDISK first, then format it as NTFS.
Just to verify, so I would format the CF card to NTFS using SuperFDISK?
I have a stupid question (never used SuperFDISK)....why SuperFDISK?
Would a normal format on a card reader delete the "fixed" to "removable" in the CF?

BTW, is my PATA controller or the CF card damaged?

sjthinkpader
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by sjthinkpader » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 pm

I think in a card reader, the card will always be formated as remove-able.
T60p 2623-DDU/UXGA IPS/ATI V5200
T60 2623-DCU/SXGA+ IPS/ATI X1400
T43p 2668-H8U/UXGA IPS/ATI V3200
R50p 1832-NU1/UXGA IPS/ATI FireGL T2
X61t 7762-B6U dual touch IPS/64GB SSD
X32 2673-BU6/32GB SSD
755CDV 9545-GBK Transmissive Projection LCD

billshoff

#5 Post by billshoff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm in the process of doing the same thing that you are doing: used X41 tablet ($45 on ebay), generic cf card to ide adapter ($6 on Amazon),... but my cf card is a Transcend 32GB 400x ($70 at Newegg).

Use a free program called EASEUS Partition Manager- Home Edition to format your cf card to ntfs. Google that name to find the software and install on another pc that will accept a cf card (or buy a usb cf card reader) The software is easy to use. Formating to ntfs will fool the pc into thinking that your cf card is a fixed disk.

If you can borrow a copy of Windows XP Tablet 2005, then by all means do so. It has all the tablet software that you won't get if you use Windows XP Pro. Hopefully your X41 came with an XP license sticker on the pc case. I couldn't borrow the tablet version so I'm without all the tablet software. Bummer!

Yes, the cf card goes into the adapter right side up but the adapter goes in upside down. Make sure the jumpers on the adapter are set to Master and 3.5V (volts). While the cf card can run on 5v, your X41 only supplies 3.5v. Be careful not to bend any of the 40 pins.

Did you ruin your adapter? I doubt it.

Hope this helps!

jsailorca

#6 Post by jsailorca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm

billshoff wrote:I'm in the process of doing the same thing that you are doing: used X41 tablet ($45 on ebay), generic cf card to ide adapter ($6 on Amazon),... but my cf card is a Transcend 32GB 400x ($70 at Newegg).

Use a free program called EASEUS Partition Manager- Home Edition to format your cf card to ntfs. Google that name to find the software and install on another pc that will accept a cf card (or buy a usb cf card reader) The software is easy to use. Formating to ntfs will fool the pc into thinking that your cf card is a fixed disk.

If you can borrow a copy of Windows XP Tablet 2005, then by all means do so. It has all the tablet software that you won't get if you use Windows XP Pro. Hopefully your X41 came with an XP license sticker on the pc case. I couldn't borrow the tablet version so I'm without all the tablet software. Bummer!

Yes, the cf card goes into the adapter right side up but the adapter goes in upside down. Make sure the jumpers on the adapter are set to Master and 3.5V (volts). While the cf card can run on 5v, your X41 only supplies 3.5v. Be careful not to bend any of the 40 pins.

Did you ruin your adapter? I doubt it.

Hope this helps!

I don't think I ruined the adapter. I tried Superdisk, EASEUS Partition Manager and another program to format and tried both FAT32 and NTFS format. I then used XP Tablet PC disc, Win XP Prof All In One disc. Each time (under different scenarios) creates different error (NTLR error for example) but actually transfer of file has been confirmed (roughly 500-600mB was transferred to the CF). I tried to copy some of the crucial files manually to correct the NTLR error and it still didn't work.

I also tried Win 7 but it didn't see the drive at all due to lack of firmware possibly.

What is most frustrating is that I just keep getting that annoying 2010 error that I believe may have contributed to failure but I am not sure. I actually got a set of X41t recovery discs and it still didn't work (not a surprise really). When I install the R&R it gave me a SETUPREG.HIV error?

Originally I wanted to return this item but the shipping cost would void any refund.
I am thinking about updating the BIOS to latest ver 2.06. :)
I mean what I have to lose?!
My current BIOS version is ver 1.06 (75ET35WW).
But the tricky thing is that Lenovo offer floppy (diskette) version called "System Program Service Diskette" (BIOS) at here:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... MIGR-60193

Has anyone upgrade BIOS via diskette through USB external floppy drive?
I think it's rather DANGEROUS... :twisted: :twisted:
I had to dig up and wipe off the dust of my external floppy drive and I have 2-3 unused diskettes.
Would I just copy the 75uj14ud.exe to the floppy and boot from the external floppy drive or do I need to expand that file somehow? Don't see how to reboot this directly from this file?!

note: I would take to upgrade BIOS via CD/DVD but that route is not available as no OS
can be installed so far. ANY HELP at this point would be greatly appreciated.

billshoff

#7 Post by billshoff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm

By all means, update the bios to 2.06. Go to Lenovo support and download "BIOS Update (Non-Diskette) - ThinkPad X41 Tablet". It's completely automatic; you don't need a floppy disk. I'm assuming that this bios update is available for your version of the X41t. Mine is a 1866 and the automatic bios update is a cake walk, but you must have your pc plugged in to ac power and under no circumstances should you interupt the update.

I think the update will allow you to better load the XP software because it will allow the X41 to see your compact flash card.

I still can't load Win 7 either; not sure why. But Jolicloud (a simple Linux system) runs like a top and is very fast. You can dual boot .with Win XP and choose which OS you want when the X41 first starts. Check out http://www.jolicloud.com

jsailorca

#8 Post by jsailorca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm

billshoff wrote:By all means, update the bios to 2.06. Go to Lenovo support and download "BIOS Update (Non-Diskette) - ThinkPad X41 Tablet". It's completely automatic; you don't need a floppy disk. I'm assuming that this bios update is available for your version of the X41t. Mine is a 1866 and the automatic bios update is a cake walk, but you must have your pc plugged in to ac power and under no circumstances should you interupt the update.
I don't think the non-diskette option is available for me.
I thought the non-diskette version requires an OS installed already.
Or do I just copy that 75uj14us.exe to a CD and boot from that CD?
Usually the executables is ran from the windows environment and the package is expanded to
a folder. Then a flash is done there.
I wished they had image for this.....sigh

billshoff

#9 Post by billshoff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Sorry, I missed the fact that you have no Windows at all; I guess I thought you were trying to add additional Windows features. Anyway, my suggestion won't work for you. You'll have to use a floppy or maybe a usb flash drive.
Somebody who understands this better than I do may have a better idea but I would download the bios exe file onto another pc, open it and allow it to make the floppy disk for you. Then run the floppy from a usb floppy drive connected to your X41t.
I have one other thought to pass along: before you load a new bios or a new operating system, open the bios on your X41t by pressing F1 during bootup and make sure that your system knows that you're installing new stuff. You can do that by pressing F9, then F10 to reboot.

jsailorca

#10 Post by jsailorca » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:30 am

billshoff wrote:Sorry, I missed the fact that you have no Windows at all; I guess I thought you were trying to add additional Windows features. Anyway, my suggestion won't work for you. You'll have to use a floppy or maybe a usb flash drive.
Somebody who understands this better than I do may have a better idea but I would download the bios exe file onto another pc, open it and allow it to make the floppy disk for you. Then run the floppy from a usb floppy drive connected to your X41t.
I have one other thought to pass along: before you load a new bios or a new operating system, open the bios on your X41t by pressing F1 during bootup and make sure that your system knows that you're installing new stuff. You can do that by pressing F9, then F10 to reboot.

FYI, I got the whole system running in either Win XP Tablet or Windows 7 after getting the 40GB original HD. There was nothing wrong with my BIO flash. Been running the tablet for two weeks now. The HD is quite clicky. Will be looking was for alternative s to other storage solution.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 am

There has been a BIOS solution for the Error 2010 for quite a while now.
http://www.filestube.com/3KwBC9j7tAgwsT ... AV134.html
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)