Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New to the Forum

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
theuglycamel

New to the Forum

#1 Post by theuglycamel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello everyone, I'm sure you're used to a problem or a question out of the new guys first post... not the case here. I've been a thinkpad user for many years and actually just got my latest toy as a fluke. I picked up an old x41 tab from ebay for under 30 bucks. I've got almost 120 in it now between the screen, hdd, and battery. I'm using an old motion plus stylus until my "fitted" one comes in. I've fallen for this machine and actually retired my dv6000t for this guy just out of lap-love. It weighs almost nothing (even with the extended battery) and I have yet to find a performance issue at all with her (as long as I remember she's not dual core)...

Ok I am a new guy and I do have two questions, more of general discussion that a question really.
First, has everyone else experenced shattered screen syndrome on the x41s? I know this is a waycom setup and it's made to have it's cover closed, but I've actually to replace this screen twice. I also know that the LE 1700s and even the TS1100s from compaq have tempered screens. They aren't "convertibles" though and typically have no screen protection otherwise. Has anyone found, or made a tempered screen for the x41? I've played around with doubling up the screens and laying a glass over the temper to try and get the stylus to work. Everything seems to track ok, but the double click is off due to the glass thickness...
Second, has anyone investigated running a core2duo on the 39T5521 motherboard? I've had some luck in processor swaps in the past (my 1.8 dv6000t is running an aftermarket 2.0 core2) but I haven't seen any specs on a duo setup previously attempted.
Anyway, glad to be with fellow lenovo fans

Oh and I'm currently running a 32gb ssd I got from China over the weekend. Runs like a champ compared to the old 4200rpm it had

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: New to the Forum

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.
You must hold the forum record with 2 broken screens on an X41T Tablet!
It's thinkable that your 'old' X41T came with a regular LCD instead of the better protected LCD, after some previous owner messed it up.
You can make scratches on the top (writing) layer, but usually only the LCD itself (under it) would crack.
This layer is of some very hard material (not tempered glass AFAIK) than can withstand quite some abuse.
Makes me wonder how you (ab)use your tablet?
There are more powerful X60T and X61T with Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs.
All CPUs in the X4x and X6x series are soldered (BGA), a rather daunting task to swap them out.
The CD and C2D from the X60/X61 are not compatible with the Pentium M (Dothan) from the X41.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

theuglycamel

Re: New to the Forum

#3 Post by theuglycamel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am

It's the LCD behind the (touchscreen) sheet that's receving all the stress. The initial breakage I can't vouch for but the second was due to stress in my laptop bag. Not thinking, I tossed the 41 in with the screen face out and facing up. That's the side I keep the power supply on and when it was zipped up and carried, it pushed through the plastic (touchscreen) sheet and cracked the LCD. I'm not denying this was completely my fault, I was only inquiring if there was a known option for a more rigid (touchscreen) sheet. The Waycom on my LE1700 has a viewanywhere tempered glass touchscreen that I've put though some serious strain over the years without any cracks.

I guess I should rephrase my question, what's everyone's opinion of the x41s touchscreen when compaired to other makes/models?