Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

In appreciation of the IBM Thinkpad X24

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
Thinkpaddict

In appreciation of the IBM Thinkpad X24

#1 Post by Thinkpaddict » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

I would simply like to write a post to declare my appreciation for the Thinkpad X24. What a truly beautiful and reliable machine.

I bought a refurbished X24 (one of my first Thinkpads) in the summer of 2005. I was about to start my last year of college, and it soon became my first Linux machine, running SUSE Linux 9.3. I configured this X24 to be perfect. It became my daily machine. I used it for entertainment, to study, and to program for my college courses. It never let me down, and I still have it with me (although I haven't logged into it in a while). It incredibly almost looks as new still.

I liked that machine so much, that when I saw an auction for a mint X24 in eBay in 2008 for a very reasonable price, I decided to jump in to get my second one. This one ran a dual boot configuration with Windows XP and Ubuntu. To say that this machine has been solid and reliable is an understatement. Although due to its age it is a little outdated, it still has no problem carrying out most tasks. Sure, flash sites might be slow and HD video playback is not possible, but it is a perfectly fine machine still, and it has been functioning almost daily for 5 years without any issue.

There are no doubt many good Thinkpad models, but I suppose that everybody has its favorite ones. For me they are the X24 and it's bigger sibbling, the T23. In some ways I think they represented the zenith of IBM's Thinkpad design and functionality. Sometimes I wish the form factors and physical characteristics had remain the same (only updating the electronics inside as needed).

Call me a nostalgic old fool. Who would have thought that it would be possible to have this sort of feelings for a machine?

The Spirit of X21

Re: In appreciation of the IBM Thinkpad X24

#2 Post by The Spirit of X21 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 am

My first ThinkPad was an X21. I've also had an X20, an X22, and an X24, and there is just something about the way they feel, the thinness and the sharpness of their lines that I like more than the X3x models that succeeded them. Even with Pentium III they were decent web surfing/office machines a couple years ago...
T470 - i5/12/256
T410 - i5/8/120

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am

My favourite X series model, hands down.

Fabulous design, great performance for its era. One of IBM's best moments in my book.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Thinkpaddict

#4 Post by Thinkpaddict » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:58 am

Thank you, gentlemen. I am happy to know I'm not alone.

@The Spirit of X21: I also had an a couple of X21s and they were equally good (simply a slower version). I think the X21 models were manufactured in South Korea. I also remember seeing an X20 for the first time on display in a CompUSA store (now sadly defunct). You are correct that there is something special about these machines. The form factor and angled edges... They even seem slightly superior to the T2* line because, being smaller, they are thinner and seem a little sturdier. Great name, by the way!

@ajkula66: Well said, sir!

Perhaps you might not be surprised to know that I'm writing this right now on my one of my X24 systems (soon to be phased out by an X61).

automobus

In appreciation of ThinkPad X22

#5 Post by automobus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:02 am

I like X22. I like it a lot. It is the best laptop design I ever used. But it is, sadly, compromised.

Most important, the reason why I like it more than every other laptop: X22 feels great. The whole thing when closed, or the base alone when open, has the best feel out of all laptops I ever used. The base is two layers of metal: bottom, and one-piece palmrest and frame all the way around keyboard. The lid is some reinforced composite material, but I cannot tell, it feels like metal. All three layers have the rubber feel.

Contrast with T40, which is a very nice computer, but it has metal lid, fiber-reinforced composite bottom, and plastic palmrest. T40 has three different feels, depending on where one holds it. I never forget how much nicer is a metal+rubber palmrest. The modern style of construction, metal skeleton under plastic skin, is perhaps better for durability, but it feels cheap. X22 feels good also because it is easy to pick-up. The front+left+right of base is chamfered at about 45°. That makes it easier to put fingers under the edge and to lift the computer. It is as if, Xtwenty wants to be held. Based on the pictures I saw, Xtwenty is similar to 570. I never experienced 570, but I viewed photos and read designer notes in the ThinkPad book. There was specific mention of the sides and front corners, about how well-planned lines make the laptop seem thin.

I like X22 keyboard a lot. I used Model Ms and a M13, also Dell clicky keyboard, PowerBook 1400, and Microsoft comfy-curves of various years. I dislike all staggered keyboards. But I like X22 keyboard. ThinkPad X22 has the best staggered keyboard I ever used. At this point, I believe it could be the best staggered keyboard in the world.

The rest of it is well-designed, too. Two USB ports on different sides of the machine (T23 fails this point). Headphone and microphone jacks on the left, for frequent use. Line-in is found in back, which makes complete sense. Along with display-out, telephone, and Ethernet, these are not likely to be used on one's lap. I like many little details: hinge screws are in tidy pairs (X22, not pair in X20), reminds me of cuff buttons. Unlike most ThinkPads, LCD cable assembly is hidden and routed through the hinge, not folding between the hinges; not important, just unusual for a ThinkPad. I like the hardware volume buttons: slight slope in the increase and decrease buttons, makes them even more navigable in dark. Cooling fan is quieter than so many found in T series.

Possibly perfect repairability / serviceability. The truism "Nothing Is Perfect" makes me cautious: surely there must be some flaw in the parts and way it is put together. But I did not find that flaw yet (permanent power inlet is the only thing I can think of). Clock battery is found behind memory door. HDD caddy comes out as quickly as any. Keyboard has nice hefty ribbon cable. LCD cable is very good and hefty. Plugs to these cables are good and hefty. Under the keyboard is another strong cable, going to Ethernet board. Under keyboard is miniPCI slot (not that there is much to do with it, due to IBM's whitelists). Entire lid assembly comes off after remvoing keyboard and hinge covers. And when there is a reason to separate the base, it is easier to work with than any plasticky-snap type cases. No twisting or prying, easy.

I can see, with ease, how everything fits together. Unlike every T series, in my experence, where I am uncertain about which screws hold which plastics, or which belong to a hinge. Xtwenty is the most repairable laptop I ever used.

What are the compromises? I believe, Xtwenties have the worst hinges of all ThinkPads. (T61 hinges are only second-worst.) Radeon graphics: good performance for Windows users, but I would rather have Intel IGP. My X22 (low-voltage CPU) gets hot enough: X24 is even hotter. So why does X30, with full-voltage CPU, get the integrated Intel 830MG? Ricoh CardBus and IEEE 1394 chip is a let-down.

X22 and T23 are friends and have tea together often.
Related discussion: T23 in my opinion is about the best.
edit 2014-05-09 add Related discussion: Love X20!
Last edited by automobus on Fri May 09, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: In appreciation of ThinkPad X22

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 am

automobus wrote:Under keyboard is miniPCI slot (not that there is much to do with it, due to IBM's whitelists)
I'm sure you are aware of the NO-1802 hack...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by pianowizard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 pm

The X2* remains the best-looking Thinkpad series. I had three X20's, one X21, and two X22's. Did you guys know that the X20 had a configuration with Celeron and 12.1" 800x600? That configuration weighed less and was slimmer than all the other X2* models, and I would say it is the prettiest Thinkpad of all time.

Does anyone know whether the X24 can run Vista? If it can, I wouldn't mind getting one with 640MB RAM and a 7200rpm HDD.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

You guys inspired my curiosity and I went to look at some pictures. Interestingly, with the X2x and T2x sharing many design elements, there is one key element in which they differ - T2x has the old trackpoint button design with the middle button below the other two, X2x has the newer, and far more useful design, with the middle button being above. I believe it makes the X20 (released in late 2000) the first Thinkpad to carry this design.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#9 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

pianowizard wrote:The X2* remains the best-looking Thinkpad series. I had three X20's, one X21, and two X22's. Did you guys know that the X20 had a configuration with Celeron and 12.1" 800x600? That configuration weighed less and was slimmer than all the other X2* models, and I would say it is the prettiest Thinkpad of all time.
There were quite a few X20s with 800x600 panel...made me cring even back then... :twisted:
Does anyone know whether the X24 can run Vista? If it can, I wouldn't mind getting one with 640MB RAM and a 7200rpm HDD.
I've tested a T23 which is as we all know a full-size-sibling of X24 with W7 and 768MB of RAM...it was NOT a pleasant experience. Never tried Vista on any of these oldies, though.

Quite honestly, if I could figure out a Linux distro that would run smoothly on X24, I would probably get one myself.

Graphics support, however, is likely to be atrocious in any newer OS be it a MS one, or a *nix...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by pianowizard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:12 pm

ajkula66 wrote:There were quite a few X20s with 800x600 panel...made me cring even back then...
12.1" 800x600 is okay for a collectible though.
ajkula66 wrote:I've tested a T23 which is as we all know a full-size-sibling of X24 with W7 and 768MB of RAM...it was NOT a pleasant experience. Never tried Vista on any of these oldies, though.
I asked about Vista only because I despise XP and I happen to have an unused Vista COA code from an HP desktop. But I have changed my mind anyway. Right now I have an X31 at work and I was thinking that if it ever dies, I would replace it with an X24. However, that wouldn't work because this X31 is barely small enough for the tiny desk it's used on, and the X24's footprint is even larger. If this X31 needs to be replaced, I would get an X41 instead. To me, the X4* is almost as beautiful as the X2*. I had three X40's before and also an X41 tablet, but never an X41 and so it would be new to me.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Thinkpaddict

Re: In appreciation of ThinkPad X22

#11 Post by Thinkpaddict » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:13 pm

automobus wrote:I like X22. I like it a lot. It is the best laptop design I ever used.

[...]

Most important, the reason why I like it more than every other laptop: X22 feels great. The whole thing when closed, or the base alone when open, has the best feel out of all laptops I ever used. The base is two layers of metal: bottom, and one-piece palmrest and frame all the way around keyboard. The lid is some reinforced composite material, but I cannot tell, it feels like metal. All three layers have the rubber feel.

[...]

Possibly perfect repairability / serviceability. The truism "Nothing Is Perfect" makes me cautious: surely there must be some flaw in the parts and way it is put together. But I did not find that flaw yet (permanent power inlet is the only thing I can think of). Clock battery is found behind memory door. HDD caddy comes out as quickly as any. Keyboard has nice hefty ribbon cable. LCD cable is very good and hefty. Plugs to these cables are good and hefty. Under the keyboard is another strong cable, going to Ethernet board. Under keyboard is miniPCI slot (not that there is much to do with it, due to IBM's whitelists). Entire lid assembly comes off after remvoing keyboard and hinge covers. And when there is a reason to separate the base, it is easier to work with than any plasticky-snap type cases. No twisting or prying, easy.

I can see, with ease, how everything fits together. Unlike every T series, in my experence, where I am uncertain about which screws hold which plastics, or which belong to a hinge. Xtwenty is the most repairable laptop I ever used.

[...]
So many excellent points, things that I had never even thought about (like the LCD ribbon cable not being exposed at all).

One of the most aesthetical pleasing, solid, logically constructed, and easily repaired Thinkpads ever, I agree.

I also agree about X24 getting hot (mine routinely will shut down tidily when it detects the high temperature threshold has been reached when running "intensive" tasks such as Flash video). And the hinges are a relative weakness as well (the hinges on my 5 year old X24 are finally giving in after much abuse).

But yeah, an amazing machine. Why can't replicate the design in one of the newer X series? That would be great.

Thinkpaddict

#12 Post by Thinkpaddict » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:22 pm

@RealBlackStuff:
What's the NO-1802 hack? I'm clueless as I've been away from the forum for quite a while.

@pianowizzard:
I have no idea about Vista in an X24, but I would say it's probably underpowered for it. Do you want to run Aero? I think you must be the first person I have met online that would rather install Vista than XP. Really! I routinely dual boot my machines between XP and Ubuntu. Windows 7 wasn't bad though. I ran that for a while in my X61.

@dr_st:
Good catch. It hadn't occurred to me. I remember looking at an X20 on display in a CompUSA store back then, and I was simply amazed. So small and powerful. And so pretty.

@ajkula66:
Linux runs great on an X24. It depends on what Window Manager you want to use though. I use Fluxbox (not for necessity, but because I prefer it to anything else) and it has the nice side effect of being one of the most efficient window managers ever. I invite you to watch some Fluxbox videos in YouTube if you are not familiar with it.

I'm running an old version of Ubuntu (8.10) on mine, but I'm sure the newest version would run just as well. Gnome is not slow either on mine, it's just that Fluxbox is lightining fast.

automobus

Re: Windows 6.0 on X24

#13 Post by automobus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 pm

pianowizard wrote:Does anyone know whether the X24 can run Vista?
Sure it can: it even meets official minimum requirements (people use Windows on PCs well below requirements). But some will just call me "too patient for real applications".

I used Windows Vista on my first X22 for four months. 800 MHz processor, and 20 Go 4200rpm disk. I only stopped using Vista, when the disk crashed. If I remember correctly, only three devices are not properly configured during Windows 6.0 install: graphics, modem, sound. Graphics: driver is part of Windows, simply manually select Radeon 7000 from list. Sound: driver for Windows 5.1 works, download from ThinkPad support Web site. Modem: I think I remember that coming automatically with Windows Update.

Some popular casual games played just fine. Too slow to advance past level 5 in World Of Goo, but the first four levels were playable. Then I tried a few PopCap trials: Bejewelled, Insaniquarium, Plantas contra Zombis, and one or two others. They were all playable. It was not "flicker-free 120Hz 3DTV"-smooth, but playable. No worse than Savage IXC in a T23, if I correctly remember.

After I replaced the hard disk, I have been using Debian. I do not use the non-free repository. Without loading firmware, GPU does not have power management, and performance is like a unaccelerated PCI card. It gets uncomfortably hot in summer. I cannot tolerate a X24.
Last edited by automobus on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 am

The NO-1802 hack is a small utility program, that switches the Whitelist check OFF.
After that you can put in any wifi card, up to 802.11N speed.
Download from here: http://www.command-tab.com/2006/02/26/t ... error-fix/
See also these threads:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108355
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108589
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#15 Post by pianowizard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:25 am

Thinkpaddict wrote:But yeah, an amazing machine. Why can't replicate the design in one of the newer X series?
That's because no more 4:3 Thinkpads are being made. IMO, the Thinkpad design looked great for 4:3 but it looks awful for 16:10 and 16:9, which was one of the main reasons I stopped buying new models 5 years ago when everything became widescreen. As a laptop aficionado, every aspect of a laptop matters to me, including looks. In photos, the X1 Carbon looks fairly good, but I haven't seen one in person.
Thinkpaddict wrote:I have no idea about Vista in an X24, but I would say it's probably underpowered for it. Do you want to run Aero? I think you must be the first person I have met online that would rather install Vista than XP. Really!
No, I never run Aero. What's wrong with Vista? I think Vista's problem was that it was way ahead of its time (i.e. it was too good) and most people including myself were just not prepared for it when it came out in 2007. Most of us didn't have powerful enough hardware, and most of us had been used to the 95/98/2000/XP user interface for over a decade and couldn't adjust to Vista's new interface. An additional problem was that many people's dislike of Vista was based entirely on the beta versions that came out in 2006, unaware that the release version was significantly better. The current version of Vista is almost the same as Windows 7 and can be thought of as "Windows 6.9".
automobus wrote:Sure it can: it even meets official minimum requirements (people use Windows on PCs well below requirements). But some will just call me "too patient for real applications".
When it comes to actually using a computer, I am very impatient and am sure an X24 would be too slow, regardless of OS. But for a collector's item, speed doesn't matter as much.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#16 Post by dr_st » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 am

pianowizard wrote:What's wrong with Vista? I think Vista's problem was that it was way ahead of its time (i.e. it was too good) and most people including myself were just not prepared for it when it came out in 2007. Most of us didn't have powerful enough hardware, and most of us had been used to the 95/98/2000/XP user interface for over a decade and couldn't adjust to Vista's new interface.
Putting the interface thing aside for a moment, that's not what I would call "too good". When a mainstream operating system is released and runs too slow on contemporary hardware, and when the recommended system requirements are in fact inadequate, that's a "too bad", and a major blunder of the OS manufacturer. In addition, Microsoft did have serious compatibility issues, a lot of which were resolved in the final version, but not all of them. They didn't do a good job ensuring smooth transition with other software/hardware vendors, and it was also a mistake on their part. The failure of Vista is exactly the reason why the two major things MS worked on for Win7 were increasing perceived UI performance and cooperating tightly with vendors for compatibility. :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Insulator_King

#17 Post by Insulator_King » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Started off w/ X20, then X21, now I am writing on an X24. I really do like it, my hinges are getting loose, but i am lazy and don't always close the lid when I pick it up to move.

Not a gamer, so it still works plenty good for me. Biggest problem is stupid FireFox memory leak bogs it down badly.

To me, the greatest lack in the X2* series is not USB 2.0.

What I need to do is get an X24 with wireless, and then use my PCMCIA slot for USB 2.0 adapter. But probably won't happen for a long time now.

Thinkpaddict

#18 Post by Thinkpaddict » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:12 am

Insulator_King wrote:Started off w/ X20, then X21, now I am writing on an X24. I really do like it, my hinges are getting loose, but i am lazy and don't always close the lid when I pick it up to move.

Not a gamer, so it still works plenty good for me. Biggest problem is stupid FireFox memory leak bogs it down badly.

To me, the greatest lack in the X2* series is not USB 2.0.

What I need to do is get an X24 with wireless, and then use my PCMCIA slot for USB 2.0 adapter. But probably won't happen for a long time now.
I'm back to the scene of the crime...

My two main machines now are an X61 (stil 4:3) and an X200 with the wide(r)screen format. There is nothing wrong with it, but they can't really compare with the X24. Sure, the X24 is vastly outperformed by these machines now. But holistically speaking, it is a better design (aesthetically speaking, and probably mechanically too).

Regarding the X24, you can get a CF wireless card so that you could also run a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter at the same time. I used an Ambicom WL-1100C-CF Compact Flash card on my old X24 for a few years, and it ran great. You can buy these used relatively cheap.

My T23 and X24 will be my favorite Thinkpads probably forever.

Also, the new X230's chiclet keyboard is an abomination. I didn't expect Lenovo to screw that up so quick.

BTW, typing this on an X200 with a superb keyboard. Just as good as I remember my X24's keyboard, probably better action even (but louder).

rckrchrdsn
Freshman Member

#19 Post by rckrchrdsn » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:38 pm

I loved the whole Xxx series, well, 20-42 at least. I still have an X23, X24 (with XP last update), and 3 X31's. My wife wants me to sell a few of them and to be truthful, with my astronomy equipment, she's probably right. But those machines are sooooo good looking and good feeling (which is what I told my she was like, too, to get some more time). I LOVE the BIOS listing of the CPU on the X24 - 1100 MHz, not 1.1 GHz. I chuckle when I see that. The X23 shows 800 MHz. Oh, my. So my fastest X31 (1.7 GHz with 2GB RAM) will become my astronomy controller, my next fastest (1.6 GHz with 2 GB) will be my household grabber for when you want a fast internet cruise, well, assuming you aren't going to YouTube. So now I have a X31 (1.4GHz/2GB), X31 (1.6GHz/1GB) probably for parts since it has the won't start with docking bay connected problem, an X24 (1100 MHz :) /684) with dock, and an X23 with some colored vertical bars. My wife is right. I just find it hard to let history and good old friends go. I have waaaay too much crap in my closet. I counted I had 12 power bricks for Thinkpads. oh man. Sorry for the True Confessions, but who else would understand?

Oh, I tried putting Vista on the X24. I could do it but it did not run well. Vista and Win 7 run fine on the X31's. If I could get the X24 on Vista I was going to install the antenna and internal card for the X24. Alas, never got around to it after I found out it was too slow.
Main X31 Vista Ult 1.6Mhz CPU 2Gb RAM 160Gb HD Artheros 54Mbit Wifi,
3-X31s XP, X24 XP, X22 XP, X21 XP, lots of parts for all of them.

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#20 Post by Medessec » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I've always been mildly fascinated with the older X-series, one of the first project Thinkpads I ever got my hands on was an X32, which I should have sold on here... but it's kind of an epitome of why I like the aesthetic design of Thinkpads so much.

I was always thinking in the back of my head that I'd love to have an X24, after seeing a ratty old X21 at a repair shop. I sort of made it an ultimate goal, kinda like when I wanted an A31p, T43p, and a W700ds. A few weeks later, a forum member "identify9" posted his for sale for a VERY fair price, in very nice condition and with accessories. Probably haven't had the opportunity to thank him enough... it's a brilliant toy and I love fetching it out every once and awhile to try old games on. ATI Rage 8MB? Yes please!

Although I wouldn't remark it as one of the most treasured pieces of my collection, I absolutely love my X24. :wink:
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

Adda

#21 Post by Adda » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm

I have had an X20 for a long time, I think I got it back in 2005-6 or something.
It never saw much use, the A30...

Anyway, it is SOLID, as tough as a semi rugged laptop can be, but yeah they run hot, mine even makes a certain smell to remind me, but it keeps on going and remains below 70C.
Poor hinges yea...

I just put CrunchBang on it, and tweaked it till it runs well, 16-bit color is a must!
It almost scrolls light weight webpages smoothly in Iceweasel, it boots quick and uses only 67MB of ram on a fresh boot.

Here is a pic:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cf/cfe726a8_AUT_0602.jpeg

ThinkPad A30
Pentium III-M 933MHz
Crucial 2x256MB 133MHz CL2
Mobility Radeon 16MB
15" UXGA FlexView
Zheino Classic A 32GB
Samsung SpinPoint M5S 160GB
NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A
Broadcom MiniPCI BCM43222 802.11n Dual Band
AKE BC168 USB 2.0