Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM ThinkPad X40 recovery CD needed!

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
kromwel

IBM ThinkPad X40 recovery CD needed!

#1 Post by kromwel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:45 am

Hi! Can anyone help me?
I don't have hidden partition on my hdd, so I can't recover my X40 to factory defaults. Maybe you can give me another solutions?

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: IBM ThinkPad X40 recovery CD needed!

#2 Post by Neil » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 am

Another solution? There are many, but it all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you truely want to restore to factory state, recovery disks are about the only way to go. But this late in the game, I'm not sure why anyone would want to go all the way back to factory state.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

bpmcclure

#3 Post by bpmcclure » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I have actually done this a few times over the last two years. You can find the recovery disk set on ebay. I restored to factory, then went through several iterations of Windows Updates, then did a system update from Lenovo using their tool to get their latest stuff, including the latest version of Rescue and Recovery. After that, I had to install all my old programs and set everything up. Not a pretty picture but it does work. I did it after a crash and then again when I installed a SSD.

bpmcclure

#4 Post by bpmcclure » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 am

I looked on eBay and none is available, but a Google search did reveal several vendors who have the discs. The ones I got were OEM, but several of these vendors seem to be selling copies. Should work though.

bpmcclure

#5 Post by bpmcclure » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:43 am

bpmcclure wrote:I looked on eBay and none is available, but a Google search did reveal several vendors who have the discs. The ones I got were OEM, but several of these vendors seem to be selling copies. Should work though.
I have upgraded to Windows 7 so the disks I have are available as of now. Reply and we can discuss getting them to you if you still need them.