Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 7.1 in x41

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
keithsketchley

Windows 7.1 in x41

#1 Post by keithsketchley » Sat May 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I used standard Windows 7.1 Pro CD, then driver updates to suit the x41.

Notes from installing Windows 7.1 Pro onto a KingSpec SSD:

Computer didn’t boot correctly from generic Windows 7 Pro disc the first time, restarted then worked OK. (I of course had set boot order in BIOS Setup to have CD/DVD drive first.)

I then ran the driver DVD from Seifelden, purchased via eBay. (Used it offline.) It advised of two drivers it did not have, for hardware it detected: Video Controller and Biometric CoProcessor (fingerprint). Drivers for the x41 can be confusing, for example there’s more than one graphics file needed from Lenovo. Generally can be figured out, reasonably good UI but at the end there’s a mysterious long list of devices that looks like more driver updates have been identified but may just be a list of drivers that are on the computer. (There are other sources for similar DVDs, but Lenovo System Update may be a better way. See http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/downloa ... D=UM001926. It recommended Hotkey Features Integration, which provides full-screen magnifier, auto scrolling, system interface driver, on-screen display of some Fn key actions like volume, full-screen magnifier, display settings utility (only some models), and a patch utility (that Lenovo describes very poorly).) However, on trying to install it after download LSU refused, saying it does not support the computer, despite all other information saying it is for Windows 7.)
It is difficult to tell which utilities should be installed – is APS, for example? CP|Programs shows very few added programs.

keithsketchley

Re: Windows 7.1 in x41

#2 Post by keithsketchley » Sat May 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Windows Update offered drivers for:
- National Semiconductor IR Port
- Lenovo PM device (that’s probably a Power Management function on the Embedded Controller)
- TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor
144 updates!

Device Manager yellow flags and Unkown device and the Video Controller, its update driver command does not find any on the Internet.

One anomaly is either Windows Update or Seiflden’s disc thought there was a touchpad in my computer.

I may try another driver DVD from eBay sellers.

keithsketchley

#3 Post by keithsketchley » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Beware that the x41 standard model is limited by its video card. The DVD Maker software in Windows 7.1 will not run because it requires DirectX v9. (Why is a graphics feature needed? !)
(The Aero look of Windows is not available due to the video card, but that is not a hardship.)

I cannot find a Windows 7 driver for the video adapter, Intel 915GM, which shows in Device Manager as missing a driver.

I can use the computer, cannot use external monitor, and now colour selection is stuck on low which makes it difficult to read some PDF files. Fortunately resolution is stuck on the highest the internal display provides.

Normally there’s a utility linked from CP|DM that lets you do various things. For Windows XP there are two files from Lenovo for the x41, a driver file and a “monitor file”.

I’ve searched:
- Windows Update Catalogue offers two files for XP, labelled as if for/from Dell.
- Intel website
- Intel automatic detect crashes the browser (wants to install third-party software)
- Internet generally

keithsketchley

#4 Post by keithsketchley » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 pm

BTW, the driver update disk I referred to as Seifelden is branded MyDriversPlus, Seifelden Electronics (seifelden.net) is the seller via eBay.

I tried one for a Dell using Windows XP, as I was having trouble with Bluetooth. Not impressed – it identified 10 drivers that could be updated, during installing them at least two had Xs beside them after installation attempts, but when finished it claimed all were updated. As well it had a long list of DriverPacks without explanation, the Bluetooth one didn’t work. Its Help function is negligible.

I have an x41 disk coming from someone else.