Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x40 issue - keyboard

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
teamde78
Freshman Member

x40 issue - keyboard

#1 Post by teamde78 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi all,

My friend recently all of a sudden been having strange problems with his x40. It seems like with little cause, the keyboard (trackpoint + power button) do not work what so ever. It always seems to happen when the system is idle for a while. The only way to resolve this is to disconnect AC power and remove battery. It is the strangest thing since the keyboard will work fine for a while, and then all of a sudden all buttons begin to not function properly. Anyone else have any issues with this and was able to find a fix?

I recently got myself an x40 and do not have any issues (same drivers,etc..).
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: x40 issue - keyboard

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 am

I'd venture a somewhat-far-fetched guess that once the SouthBridge BGA heats up sufficiently some of the solder balls lose contact and the keyboard goes haywire.

Given that it requires a removal of battery and AC adapter for the machine to start "behaving" again, it sounds like a motherboard issue to me, whether it's SB chip or something else.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

teamde78
Freshman Member

Re: x40 issue - keyboard

#3 Post by teamde78 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:50 pm

ajkula66 wrote:I'd venture a somewhat-far-fetched guess that once the SouthBridge BGA heats up sufficiently some of the solder balls lose contact and the keyboard goes haywire.

Given that it requires a removal of battery and AC adapter for the machine to start "behaving" again, it sounds like a motherboard issue to me, whether it's SB chip or something else.

Good luck.
It unfortunately does seem like a lost cause. It's really too bad because other than the keyboard issue, everything else works great.
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410