thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:20 pm 

6 Months ago I picked up a T40. From day one I have been thoroughly impressed with this machine, and it's time to pick up another IBM Thinkpad.

I'd like your help identifying the least expensive Thinkpad X that will meet my needs. This machine will have 2.5 Purposes:

1) Serve as a backup for when my T40 is down (or with my girlfriend, etc.).
2) Serve as a controller/processor for my music collection in my home.
2.5) Serve as a controller/processor for my music collection in my car.

Since I will require little in terms of processing power from this machine (nothing I can't do on my dinosaur Pentium 200), an older, less expensive computer will suit me fine provided it offers (or can be upgraded to do the following):

1. Run Windows XP (I have an extra licensed, legal copy of XP that I wish to use)
2. Interface with USB 2.0
3. Offer an Ethernet port (100 MB is adequate)
4. Offer 802.11b Wi-fi

I understand that I will probably need to use a PCMCIA card (and slot) for 2 and 4, and maybe 3. Do any of the X2x models offer these upgrades internally?

Also, for what it's worth, when the computer is serving in the musical capacity, it will be reading from a USB hard drive, decoding MP3s, and feeding a stereo through the stereo plug. Pretty simple, if ypou've got the ports.

So, in light of these requirements, will I be able to make internal upgrades to do what I want to do? Will I need to fill both external slots? Am I a fool for asking an X2x to do all this? Should I scrap this idea and buy an X30? Is there a material difference between the X21 and the X23? Et cetera.

Thank you for your opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:08 pm 
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

Yes, you can get a X22-X24 that does what you need (or even X20-21 using USB or CF wifi). To add USB 2.0 ports you only have one option, using the (single!) Cardbus slot. The X31 was the first X series that offered USB 2.0 built in. The X series were sold in a great number of varieties, so look careful before you buy.

All X-series have connection ports for ethernet and modem, but whether they actually work depends on the mini-PCI card installed. Starting from the X22, a wifi antenna was integrated in the side of the screen, so you can add wifi using a mini-PCI card if it doesn't have it already. Various mini-PCI cards are sold on ebay all the time. Also remember that ethernet and wifi can also be added through the USB ports, (or even the Compactflash port, but this tends to be much more expensive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:51 pm 

http://www.itxchange.com/ITXchange/

type in x30 (under search) - you can get new one for about a thousand bucks.

little less for x24