Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

few questions regarding installing OS using recovery disc

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
jealouse

few questions regarding installing OS using recovery disc

#1 Post by jealouse » Thu May 20, 2004 8:54 pm

hello

i'm a x24 user without recovery disc. but thanx to ur help, now i know how to order recovery disc from IBM.

unfortunately, my HDD died today. it was IBM(hitachi) 80gig HDD and i ran DFT and it died. just like that. it will be returned for exchange tomorrow.

does anyone have any experience with hitachi warranty exchange service? how long does it usually take to get the replacement? since time is money, if i have to wait longer than two weeks, i might as well get a cheap 40gig HDD while waiting for the replacement arrives. any comment?

another question. i'll probably order the recovery disc from IBM. my x24 originally came with hitachi 30gig HDD. but i will probably buy(if i buy, that is) fujitu 40gig cuz i heard it's quiet. is it okay to use different manufacturer, different size hdd and run the recovery disc?

also, if i run the recovery disc, will it create hidden partition on the HDD so that no recovery cd-rom be required next time? or does it install OS straight from the CD-rom?

i guess it's a lot of questions here. thanx for helpping me out.

cheers

G-Man
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: few questions regarding installing OS using recovery dis

#2 Post by G-Man » Thu May 20, 2004 10:23 pm

Was the 80gig purchased from IBM? If so, they will send you one pretty soon. Here are the HD options for your X24. I think during the 2k installation you will be asked if you want to create a recovery partition, but I haven’t done 2k recovery for a while so can’t really remember. Finally, some more information about your TP. Change the category type for more info.

Regards,
G-Man