Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X30 mods...?

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
ElecCham

X30 mods...?

#1 Post by ElecCham » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm

So I'm working on breathing some new life into our old X30. I've just maxed out the RAM and put in a wireless card (and am awaiting the arrival of the antenna assembly). The main impediment I've run into with it is the lack of video acceleration.

Initially I was hoping to find that some clever person had created an "OpenGL accelerator" card, along the same concept as the MPEG-2 accelerator cards from a few years ago, that I could put in the PCMCIA slot. Alas, no such luck.

I imagine that it would be too much to hope that I could get a newer mini-PCI video card and put it in, wouldn't it... :-P

Okay, setting that aside for the moment... I've seen several posts describing putting in a higher-resolution screen. What about the touchscreen overlays? The descriptions I've seen describe using an internal USB port on an Eee, and I don't believe the X30 has such a beast; how about routing the cable to the rear USB port? Am I out of my gourd for even considering it?

Any other useful mods people can suggest for this critter? It's served us faithfully for nearly a decade now, even withstanding having been dropped once and a friend pouring a drink into it! Everything old is new again, with netbooks being the rage now...

sjthinkpader
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X30 mods...?

#2 Post by sjthinkpader » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:01 am

The easiest is adding a SSD. I have a Transcend SSD in my X30. The X30 is one of the lowest power in the X series. SSD is a good compliment to a X30.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p544000
T60p 2623-DDU/UXGA IPS/ATI V5200
T60 2623-DCU/SXGA+ IPS/ATI X1400
T43p 2668-H8U/UXGA IPS/ATI V3200
R50p 1832-NU1/UXGA IPS/ATI FireGL T2
X61t 7762-B6U dual touch IPS/64GB SSD
X32 2673-BU6/32GB SSD
755CDV 9545-GBK Transmissive Projection LCD

godling
Freshman Member

Re: X30 mods...?

#3 Post by godling » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:12 am

Second sjthinkpader ... my Transcend 32GB MLC SSD has made my old X31 like new again. The SSDs will slow down over time (if they do not handle TRIM, and to be honest, I haven't found a PATA SSD that does), but the performance can be refreshed.

I've been extremely happy with mine, and even when it's performance dwindled (I just refreshed it) it was far and away faster, quieter, and cooler than the 4200 rpm drive the x31 came with.

-J
--
Jon Evans Writer/Techie/Dad thegodling@verizon.net
DargonZine -- Free Fantasy Fiction Online
The Longest Running Magazine on the internet ... Period.
http://www.dargonzine.org

Return to “ThinkPad X20/X30/X40 Series incl. Tablets”