Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X41 random shutdowns (freeze, black screen)

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
oliwek

X41 random shutdowns (freeze, black screen)

#1 Post by oliwek » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 am

Hello, I have bought recently a 2nd hand X41 Tablet ; it came with a fresh install of Win XP Tablet PC edition, and the reinstall hidden partition.
This laptop succeeds in all PC-Doctor hardware (diagnostic) tests, and generally works without issue when sitting on a desk ; however it randomly freezes (black screen, with just battery + "Z in a cercle" + eventually WLAN LEDs lit, unresponsive to everything but a 20s press on the power button). I suspected earlier the thinkvantage hard disk driver (anti-fall) that would cause freezes, but disabling it doesn't help, and even booting from a liveusb linux drive shows the same issues, so it must be hardware related.

I don't know if the bios could (heat related?) abruptly shut down the laptop ; however I don't think it's heat as the laptop succeeds in all tests stressing the CPU that i have tried (max CPU temp during PC Doctor tests was around 60 or 61°C, PC Wizard 2010 says). I suspect now a loose connexion somewhere. Someone in another thread said to check without battery, AC connected, to see if an old defective battery could cause the issue (even on AC when battery attached), but even so the laptop still freezes (when moved I guess).

Any advice? Should I disassemble to check something?

edit : it seems really similar to the the post from joshchau here : http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... ze#p610741

thank you

topmahof

Re: X41 random shutdowns (freeze, black screen)

#2 Post by topmahof » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm

You could take the keyboard off and maybe see if anything was spilled on it. Make sure all the screws are in the bottom of it and make sure they are all tight.

Any errors in windows error reporting?

Anything running in task manager that looks strange?

Try changing your power options in control panel and make your settings the same on ac as on battery.

It does sound like a hardware problem, being that it does it with any os.
current, T430s, X1C-2nd Gen, Helix 1st Gen, X301, X200T, X61T, X32, X41T, 2-X40s, tc4400, X60 , X61s U-160, Yoga 900, Yoga 910