Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X41t Win 7 Problems with Screen Rotate Button, BT, video cot

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
thebigalphamale

X41t Win 7 Problems with Screen Rotate Button, BT, video cot

#1 Post by thebigalphamale » Sun May 22, 2011 3:35 pm

I am back again after a little over a year with my x41t (you can see my old posts have similar issues as this one but over a year ago)... still love it... anyways I had a catastrophic failure of windows 7 after uninstalling some software... it couldnt be repaired... so I set out to reinstall windows 7.....

Ive now reinstalled it 3 times... I tried adding windows updates before and after adding new lenovo drivers directly downloaded from lenovo and one time I tried doing the thinkvantage system update 4 utility for windows 7...

each time I was trying to figure out and fix the screen rotation button... its not working in 3 windows 7 installs... the other tabket buttons are working fine... I even tried to set those other buttons up as the screen rotation button...still didnt work on those buttos that work for enter, esc and tablet menu shortcut...

in device manager it says all things are working fine, with the exception of 1... the video controller... so I searched high and low for the answer to this issue... I guess it has to do with intel 915gm support for windows 7... there is none... they only started with 945 and above it seems for windows 7...

I dont remember if that was an issue in my old install of windows 7 that worked perfectly... tablet button was fully working the whole time... now bluetooth I could never get it to work correctly, even on my old windows 7 install.. it was working fine when I put tablet xp on there though (I tried tablet xp before win 7 just to see it on there)... it was cutting in and out all the time...Ive used the windows auto update drivers and tired ones of lenovo and so on... but thats not my main concern...

so anyone know why my rotate screen button isnt working, and or a fix for the video controller? if you have windows 7 installed on your x41 or x41t can you check your device manager and see what it says for bluetooth and video controller

thanks for any and all help... :bow:

topmahof

Re: X41t Win 7 Problems with Screen Rotate Button, BT, video cot

#2 Post by topmahof » Sun May 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I just bought a x41t but I don't have it yet, but I got a couple of x41's running windows 7.

The video controller I got from Intel, driver version 6.14.10.4764, date 1/13/2007.

Bluetooth is from Broadcom, driver version 5.1.2535.0, date 10.24/2006.

I tried a couple of video drivers, someone posted one on here from hp and it worked also, but the one I listed benchmarked better.

Dave

Edit: If I remember correctly, windows update gave me the bluetooth driver.
current, T430s, X1C-2nd Gen, Helix 1st Gen, X301, X200T, X61T, X32, X41T, 2-X40s, tc4400, X60 , X61s U-160, Yoga 900, Yoga 910

Tasurinchi

#3 Post by Tasurinchi » Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 am

I had Win7 only briefly in X41T, but I remember I got the buttons working with no issues after installing the necessary drivers using Lenovo System Update. I don't remember if the video drivers were installed with Windows Update or Lenovo System Update, nevertheless it was done automatically.

My 2 cents...
IBM Convertible 5140/L40SX/220/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E
A20p/A22p/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/6*T40x/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/12*X2xx/4*X30x/Z60m/3*Z61x

thebigalphamale

#4 Post by thebigalphamale » Mon May 23, 2011 4:52 pm

topmahof wrote:I just bought a x41t but I don't have it yet, but I got a couple of x41's running windows 7.

The video controller I got from Intel, driver version 6.14.10.4764, date 1/13/2007.

Bluetooth is from Broadcom, driver version 5.1.2535.0, date 10.24/2006.

I tried a couple of video drivers, someone posted one on here from hp and it worked also, but the one I listed benchmarked better.

Dave

Edit: If I remember correctly, windows update gave me the bluetooth driver.
thanks Ill check mine against those and please report back in this thread when you get the tablet running windows 7, I would appreciate it... I did another reinstall of windows 7, hooked up the ethernet cable only instead of loading the wifi driver from lenovo as that way wasnt working all that great it seems... am just doing windows 7 updates and nothing from lenovo yet.. it seems that the atmel tpm driver needs to be loaded up via lenovo system update or manually and the video controller ? driver issue that I am having is there... I assume that is the intel 915 chipset issue... and maybe that is why the tablet button for screen rotate isnt working...its the "controller" button for that... I am just guessing.... I hope to workout it out as I had the tablet rotate button working 100% in my prior windows 7 install for the last year or so.... just cant figure out how I did it before or why its not working out of the box after updates now... but I dont recall the video controller issue in device manager in my previous working windows 7 either.... (maybe you could do a driver backup of the 915 chipset drivers and host them on the net somewhere that I can grab them and try them as a last resort...thanks!!!)
Tasurinchi wrote:I had Win7 only briefly in X41T, but I remember I got the buttons working with no issues after installing the necessary drivers using Lenovo System Update. I don't remember if the video drivers were installed with Windows Update or Lenovo System Update, nevertheless it was done automatically.

My 2 cents...
well I had it done as well in my previous working windows 7 install... but after windows went down for me after uninstalling some software... I have tried installing windows 7 many different ways... using system update, using windows update and doing it in vs versa orders...and such... with no avail.... so I hope this last way... doing all windows updates past sp1 then ill see whats not working and then try the system update only and pray....LOL... if its still not working then Ill try to grab that HP 915 chipset driver and load it...

I am so pee'd at myself for not having done a complete system back Image of the lenovo x41t... stupid... but I dont keep any personal files or data on it ( i use my server for all that) and so it was basically just win 7 on there and a few basic free programs...so to me it wasnt impt to have an image... but lesson learned... even if its not impt, its no sweat to do a complete image of a working cpu... for back up purposes... I wont rely on system restore either or windows repair bc they couldnt fix whatever it was that caused the failure....

if you all got any more advice or know where to grab or can host the 915 chipset drivers from a driver back up of your own let me know...thanks... :bow:

topmahof

#5 Post by topmahof » Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 pm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... pe=Drivers

Here's the chipset driver. It's the one that I used. You have to download it and then force windows to install it. Don't let windows find it, manually point the driver in control panel to the file where you downloaded it. It's for xp, but it works.

You can try installing from the exe. I think it worked once for me, the other times I had to manually install it.

Dave
current, T430s, X1C-2nd Gen, Helix 1st Gen, X301, X200T, X61T, X32, X41T, 2-X40s, tc4400, X60 , X61s U-160, Yoga 900, Yoga 910

topmahof

#6 Post by topmahof » Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 pm

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76736

Here's the benchmarks for the hp driver and the xp driver that I used.

The one poster is right, you have to run the exe from the extract folder and it will fail. Windows will offer to install it using recommended settings. Do it. It'll install then.

Dave

thebigalphamale

#7 Post by thebigalphamale » Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 am

topmahof wrote:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... pe=Drivers

Here's the chipset driver. It's the one that I used. You have to download it and then force windows to install it. Don't let windows find it, manually point the driver in control panel to the file where you downloaded it. It's for xp, but it works.

You can try installing from the exe. I think it worked once for me, the other times I had to manually install it.

Dave
Tasurinchi wrote:I had Win7 only briefly in X41T, but I remember I got the buttons working with no issues after installing the necessary drivers using Lenovo System Update. I don't remember if the video drivers were installed with Windows Update or Lenovo System Update, nevertheless it was done automatically.

My 2 cents...

thanks to you both... I got it working... appreciate the help... I not have to figure out my bluetooth... my previous working install of windows 7, it was connect to my headset but the audio was cutting in and out every second... so for the audio test you would hear the left but then not the right bc it would cut out for that second... or on a youtube video... 1-2 seconds on and 1-2 seconds off.... so not sure what the problem is... I tried to connect my phone to it... it reconizes it...pairs... but cannot get a file (I assume bc its cutting in and out on the transfer of the file)... I know my headset works and my phone works to my other laptop and my archos 5 for music... so not sure why the x41t wont...

I think ill give it a little more effort... but if I cant figure it out I will just add a usb bluetooth adapter that I use on my older dell dimension desktop and just disable the internal one on the lenovo... an easy dollar fix, but it does tie up a usb port that I would not normally use for my mouse bc the other side USB is not flush with the unitand so with the extension out to the sides a little on the usb bluetooth unit I have it will not sit in there... heck flash drives barely fit in there...

any suggestions would be great on the bluetooth thing......

topmahof

#8 Post by topmahof » Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 am

As far as the bluetooth, maybe reseat the card and reseat the antenna. Maybe some insulation rubbed off the antenna and it's grounding somewhere. I'd try the bluetooth dongle first though, make sure that doesn't do the same thing.

Dave

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am

The X41t only has one speaker. You need to run it via the X4 docking station to get stereo.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

thebigalphamale

#10 Post by thebigalphamale » Tue May 24, 2011 3:25 pm

topmahof wrote:As far as the bluetooth, maybe reseat the card and reseat the antenna. Maybe some insulation rubbed off the antenna and it's grounding somewhere. I'd try the bluetooth dongle first though, make sure that doesn't do the same thing.
Dave
I wonder how hard it is to get to that area of the laptop? any directions, pics, or whatever websites might get me in and out... Ive done the basics on laptops...remove keyboards to replace deeply hidden memory.... and so on... so I think I could do it...but would want to see a tear down or some pics of it and where it is etc... not worth risking messing something up over a 2 dollar usb bluetooth dongle fix... I am just a perfectionist and love to figure out the problem and be successful fixing it... so I would love to "beat" this bluetooth issue just so I can say I was triumphant....LOL :lol: :banana:
RealBlackStuff wrote:The X41t only has one speaker. You need to run it via the X4 docking station to get stereo.
I know it has only one speaker, but bluetooth stereo headset is what I am working on... on a quick sidenote, my previous windows 7 install the speaker sucked... it was very very low... but I figured it was just such a crappy small speaker...no big deal... but with my new installs I notice the speaker has a dramatic (maybe like 3x) increase in volume... even without the loudness box checked or unchecked under speaker properties.... so thats crazy and I am glad its working much better than it had in the last year on windows 7

well I spent a few hours playing with it last night... I 1st tried some widcomm/broadcom (?) exe stuff that I found form another forum regarding win 7 and bluetooth problems for older systems... It installed great and I was all excited when I turned on my bluetooth stereo headphones and they connected immediately and gave the the bluetooth advanced stereo audio notificatiion... checked device manager and lots more bluetooth stuff was in there under sound and so on, seemed like at least 5-7 more drivers installed... so it was much better than the stock stuff... but the problem was the same... cutting in and out in and out

so I tried the bluesoliel 6.xx.x.x.x.x version that came with my generic usb bluetooth dongle... installed it... and messed with it... same thing.... cutting in and out... but the stuff I installed above was much better in terms of connection, pairing and so on... but neither worked..

so I downloaded the trial version of bluesoliel 8 the latest one... it says it has more support for thinkpads and other types... well I got the bluetooth to work... no cutting in and out.... so I do the test audio sounds... left and right worked perfectly... did it for a few times... and then tried to load up a youtube video to see... silent.... disconnect and re connect... I can get it to work for a few tries/seconds but thats it...BUT IT DID WORK CORRECTLY... so then I paired up my phone... and sent 2 pictures over, which I coudnt do with the IBM/MS bluetooth radio drivers... and the pictures came over to the laptop with out a hitch.. well bluesoliel has a 2mb limit for the trail.. but bc I have version 6 license It says I get 8 for free... but I gotta figure out how to make that work to test it some more and see if maybe the 2mb limit trial issues....

and lastly... I think I may try a dual boot with windows 7 and xp tablet... and see if under the xp tablet OS the bluetooth works without a hitch... I cant remember if it worked when about 2 years ago I got the tablet and did a fresh install of xp tablet... to see how I liked it and immediately decided to try windows 7 and stuck with that instead... but that would give me a definitive answer as to if it CAN work under the old drivers of xp...and if it doesnt work under xp, well then I know for sure its something to do with the hardware... but I doubt it as I did get it to work above under win 7 for a brief little bit....

thanks again for taking the time to help me out... and read my long winded posts..... :thumbs-UP: :bow:

topmahof

#11 Post by topmahof » Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 pm

For what it's worth, at this point it doesn't sound like a hardware problem, but buggy software.

Dave

skydiver22

#12 Post by skydiver22 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am

topmahof wrote:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... pe=Drivers

Dave
Thanks Dave for your info. I have been fighting that video driver problem for 3 days after I loaded Win 7 in my X41 Tablet. I spent two day working out all of the bugs except for the video driver issue. Searched everywhere and found your comment.. Followed your instructions and problem solved.. You made me one very happy X41 owner today.. Thanks!!