Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

easiest way to get xp (from scratch) on x41T

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
ivan_zg

easiest way to get xp (from scratch) on x41T

#1 Post by ivan_zg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 am

I bought myself x41t but cannot install xp with tablet functions.It came with win7 but performances are...not so good. Also i have seen tutorials to speed up xp on x41 and the results are pretty good...so i decided definitely that xp is "must have" option.
I have tried several tutorials how to install XP with tablet functions on X41T (importing drivers and tablet functions to normal xp sp3 installation disc) but without success. Also i have found and downloaded xp 2005 Tablet edition (2 installtion CD's) but cannot install it correctly - i'm always missing tablet function(and my licence number from the bottom didnt work so i used one from the internet).
Win7 is not an option, or lets say i'm not satisfied with the performances with that "combination"-And i'm gong slightly maaaad:), also i have seen that there are no restore CD's...:(.
Which is the easiest way to install xp with tablet functions...??? I have red here a lot about xp on x41T but haven't found anywhere exact information on "how to install (step by step) from scratch" which worked for me.
Thanks in advance...

ZaZ

Re: easiest way to get xp (from scratch) on x41T

#2 Post by ZaZ » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:36 am

You might want to post over in the marketplace forum. Someone may have a set of recovery discs for the X41t they might hook you up for a minimal charge.
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

keithsketchley

Re: easiest way to get xp (from scratch) on x41T

#3 Post by keithsketchley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am

An IBM CD set for the Tablet is desirable due all the drivers and such. Then update some of them from Lenovo's support site.

I suggest first checking with IBM in case they have stock left, otherwise as people say got to eBay.

IBM tend to use a single license key even from the factory, ignoring what they put on the bottom of your computer. Bizarre.

You should not be using a license key off of the Internet, both because you do not have rights to use it unless it is the exact one IBM's CDs would have used and because many are black-flagged by Microsoft. Activating XP is a pita chase-around but is possible. Once you've tried a couple of times, perhaps using Microsoft's routine for the XP, look in Start|Programs for an Activate option top left.

Downoading Windows from some Internet hacker's site is a bad idea.