Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X41 trackpoint not working, replaced keyboard, still no go

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
Qwaarjet

X41 trackpoint not working, replaced keyboard, still no go

#1 Post by Qwaarjet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello everyone, I found this helpful forum after recently purchasing my first Thinkpad. Always wanted on growing up, but never had the $$$ :(

Anyway, for fun, I couldn't pass up a great deal on a X41 i found online. The seller stated everything was working fine, except the trackpoint did not work. He bought a used keyboard and replaced it, but still didn't work.

I ordered a new oem keyboard for it, figuring he just had bad luck, but even with it, the trackpoint does not work in Ubuntu or on Hiren's mini-xp rescue. Every single other key works fine though on both the keyboard it came with and my new one. I was hoping someone here could toss me a help suggestion as otherwise I have the thinkpad working great!

Qwaarjet

Re: X41 trackpoint not working, replaced keyboard, still no go

#2 Post by Qwaarjet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:12 am

nevermind, it's working now! apparently the motherboard contact point might be a little screwy. After removing and reinstalling, using a lot of force and wiggling on the connect, the trackpoint worked, but up/down were invereted and button 2 didn't work. So I tried it again, wiggling, smashing, everything on the contact point and now it works perfectly!