Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad x61t drivers for windows 7- I instal the wrong ones

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
chickade

Thinkpad x61t drivers for windows 7- I instal the wrong ones

#1 Post by chickade » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:50 pm

I am in a bit over my head- My son highly recommended Windows 7 and got me a copy for my "new to me" x61 tablet that had XP on it. Now I can't use the tablet functions, and the buttons don't work. I read up on Thinkpad forums and learned to go to the Lenovo site to download drivers, however one set of instructions didn't mention that I had to figure out which version of the x61 I had by looking at the BIOS.

In my first attempt to upgrade, I downloaded drivers that weren't specifically for my 7763 wg7 machine. Now I am wondering if there will be problems if I go ahead and download the correct drivers and re-nstall them- will there be conflicts with the ones I already installed? Should I uninstall the ones I have, and if so, how do I do that? I have never tried to uninstall hardware drivers on a Thinkpad in Windows7.

Also, how important is the order of installation? I read that you have to be careful to install certain drivers before others- which ones need to come first?- is it the BIOS drivers that need to be first? Could you help explain the reason for the order of installation? Thanks very much for your help.

dragonknight

Re: Thinkpad x61t drivers for windows 7- I instal the wrong ones

#2 Post by dragonknight » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Since I don't have much experience installing driver manually, I think when you install a newer driver for your device, it will automatically remove the old one and install itself after that.

But, I recommend you to install ThinkVantage System Update and let it help you to get the right drivers, download and install them for you. In fact, it's really easier and help you to maintain all the drivers you need for your computer, and IMO it's the most valuable advantage of using a Thinkpad with ThinkVantage technology ;)
T60p 2007-8JU

X61 7675-4KU

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad x61t drivers for windows 7- I instal the wrong ones

#3 Post by loyukfai » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 am

Just uninstall it and install the right one.

The driver for the same line (e.g. X61T) but different types are usually the same. For the majority of Lenovo utilities, a single package is often used for many different models, differing only by the OS used (e.g. 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows).

And you may just install System Update (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... VSU-UPDATE) and let it install the drivers for you.

Cheers.