Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New owner of X61 tablet

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
stereo

New owner of X61 tablet

#1 Post by stereo » Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Glad to join the happy club of thinkpad owners.

The x61T I bought has clean win 7 ultimate 64bit OS installed with most recent updates.
2 gb of ram, 120 HDD Fujitsu 5400rpm. Have an easy (most likely) question for you guys, who know much more than I do about these puppies. I'm not concerned about upgrading hardware on it to get faster performance but I checked this forum and saw that SSD's are the way to go and more RAM.

Question: Device manager shows everything is "fine/recognized", but I checked Lenovo website on drivers and software for this machine and I'm not sure which ones are the ones I should\you would recommend to update/install. There are plenty drivers/patches/updates released in 2012. I also noticed that previous owner has already installed Thinkpad power management and trackpoint drivers.

Any advice in this matter would be appreciated.

stereo

Re: New owner of X61 tablet

#2 Post by stereo » Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 am

Guess nobody here has anything to say on this matter..

willprice94

#3 Post by willprice94 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 am

I have the X60t and installed Lenovo system update (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... VSU-UPDATE)
Then I installed power manager and tablet menu to take advantage of the tablet buttons, and a few of the other updates for the tablet. I guess you'd take a similar route seeing as the X61t is very similar to the X60t but with a better processor being the main difference (AFAIK).

I'd suggest using Lenovo system update if you're unsure which updates to install individually it makes the process easier.

mariol90
Freshman Member

#4 Post by mariol90 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 pm

willprice94 wrote:I'd suggest using Lenovo system update if you're unsure which updates to install individually it makes the process easier.
I would also suggest this. some drivers may not be picked up (mainly updates for the intel graphics), so look at the optional updates for windows update and check off a few of those too if there are still any. You could also get the ultranav utility from lenovo's website if that's not installed.
W500 - T9600 | FireGL V5700 | 8GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | WUXGA | 7 Ult
X200 Tablet, Surface Pro 128GB w/ Touch Cover

StickyTape

#5 Post by StickyTape » Sun May 13, 2012 9:03 am

I find System Updates fine on a clean install, and just install the minimal items that you like (Power Manager, Access Connections, Trackpoint, Client Sec Sol. (if TPM), lenovo intel graphics driver).

If you buy an SSD you will need, or should, remove the turbo flash if you have it. This was introduced in 2007/8 as a go between while SSDs were still too expensive. I bought an Intel 320 80gb last year and it works great on a 2.4GHz processor.

These X61 laptops have been round for a long time now, but since proc speed has flattened out, they don't underperform for regular work. Different story with gaming of course.
Plain, does what is says on the box, efficient, comprehensive without bells and whistles. I love my thinkpad. What does this say about me?