Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61 Tablet XP recovery CD

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#31 Post by ryengineer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 pm

DavidNY wrote:The discs are in -- all 8 of them. I guess they don't do DVDs. :roll:
Sir, time and availability is the key, lenovo "do" DVD's too.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#32 Post by DavidNY » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 am

The CDs to move to XP worked fine, using the USB DVD drive that Vista couldn't find the drivers for.

That means I don't have R&R discs for Vista. I think the HD partition has the files, but I wouldn't mind the data on optical media.
X61t, T60, T23, T21 (all XP), 385XD

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#33 Post by ryengineer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Sir, if you have used Windows XP Product Recovery Disks then there is no partition left on your HDD, the previous factory installed Windows Vista, predesktop area and the hidden partition has been wiped out.
During the recovery process, all data on all partitions of the hard disk will be deleted, including any personal data and configuration settings.

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#34 Post by crashnburn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:13 pm

ryengineer wrote:
DavidNY wrote:The discs are in -- all 8 of them. I guess they don't do DVDs. :roll:
Sir, time and availability is the key, lenovo "do" DVD's too.
I cant imagine if we would look at the fine print legalese of such license agreements... if our cars, utilities or daily appliances were to work this way.

Oh.. would be amazing if we had such constraints with our medecines, a breath pump (asthma), etc.

Someone mentioned once that we have ourselves created a poor threshold of acceptance when it comes to computers, software & their reliability.

I think in the interest of public sanity & preventing a 'french revolution' of sorts they should upload an ISO of this DVD. :D
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#35 Post by DavidNY » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:45 am

ryengineer wrote:Sir, if you have used Windows XP Product Recovery Disks then there is no partition left on your HDD, the previous factory installed Windows Vista, predesktop area and the hidden partition has been wiped out.
During the recovery process, all data on all partitions of the hard disk will be deleted, including any personal data and configuration settings.
That's incorrect.

Disk Management shows a 5.95 GB service partition on the HD, and Atlanta said Vista would remain on it if I should ever want to deal with that joke of an OS again.

At this point I'm just glad to have XP back. It works perfectly with all the hardware that Vista couldn't find the drivers for such as my WD and Maxtor USB HDs and that cool slot-loading Centrix/Pioneer optical drive Aphex recommended.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#36 Post by DavidNY » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 am

crashnburn wrote:
I think in the interest of public sanity & preventing a 'french revolution' of sorts they should upload an ISO of this DVD. :D
That would be nice, but apparently they'd rather charge folks $50 for the privilege of getting physical media for an OS that actually works.

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#37 Post by ryengineer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:21 am

DavidNY wrote:...........snip.......That's incorrect.

Disk Management shows a 5.95 GB service partition on the HD, and Atlanta said Vista would remain on it if I should ever want to deal with that joke of an OS again........snip
Sir, Product Recovery disks wipes everything on an HDD, I can provide you proof from Atlanta if you prefer.

The 5.95 GB space you're seeing in Disk Management is the Hidden Service Partition for your new OS, Windows XP and not for already wiped out Windows Vista image.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#38 Post by DavidNY » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:43 am

When I ordered the XP disks, I asked IBM about returning to Vista (I couldn't make R&R disks as Vista couldn't find drivers for my DVD writer).

The person I spoke with said the service partition with Vista would remain.

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#39 Post by ryengineer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am

Sir, you've been misinformed, I suggest you call IBM again and report about the incorrect information you received from them. The number is the same 1-800-426-7378 (24/7)!

Here I have copied the info. for you:
Before you begin downgrading to Windows XP:

As with any downgrade or change from one operating system to another, creating a set of Windows Vista preload image Recovery DVDs or CDs for a system before beginning the downgrade procedure is recommended. The backup Windows Vista preload image should be stored in a safe place for use when reinstallation of the Windows Vista operating system software is required. Find more detailed instructions on creating recovery media using ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery.

Downgrading to Windows XP:

The Windows XP Recovery CD set is bootable and will install the complete preload image of the operating system, drivers, and applications on the system.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware this boot process will reformat the hard drive, remove existing disk partitions, and erase any user data, settings and applications. Again, when changing operating systems, save data on separate media and reinstall any software and data once the system has been downgraded to Windows XP.

When you are ready to reinstall Windows Vista on your system:

Use the Windows Vista Recovery media that was created prior to downgrading to Windows XP to reinstall the system's preload environment, including Windows Vista. ThinkVantage System Update can be used to update to latest level of system firmware, drivers, software and ThinkVantage utilities. Once that has been completed, reinstall any other applications not provided by Lenovo. Use ThinkVantage System Migration Assistant to migrate data and application settings from the former Windows XP system environment.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#40 Post by DavidNY » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:41 am

Maybe I could access the partition and see what's in there. I could also offload it to DVDs and gain the space.

Any suggestions on how to access it?

proaudioguy

#41 Post by proaudioguy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:50 pm

DavidNY wrote:When I ordered the XP disks, I asked IBM about returning to Vista (I couldn't make R&R disks as Vista couldn't find drivers for my DVD writer).

The person I spoke with said the service partition with Vista would remain.
They lied.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#42 Post by DavidNY » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Is there a way to view the files on the R&R partition?

proaudioguy

#43 Post by proaudioguy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:25 pm

DavidNY wrote:Is there a way to view the files on the R&R partition?
Press the Blue Button.

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#44 Post by ryengineer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 pm

proaudioguy wrote:They lied.
Sir, there is no reason for IBM to lie, a rep was simply misinformed or perhaps misunderstood customer's query.
proaudioguy wrote:
DavidNY wrote:Is there a way to view the files on the R&R partition?
Press the Blue Button.
I believe you won't be viewing the files but you would simply be accessing them. For original poster's curiosity, to view what's on your hidden service / recovery partition, insert the Product Recovery disks in the media bay of your X6 Ultrabase or in an external drive and see what's on there.

Regardless of above, David, sir, Vista partition is gone for good. However if you are still doubtful of what I/others stated then please back up all your data on an external media and initiate the Rescue and Recovery process by following these steps:

1. Turn off your machine.
2. Power it up and carefully observe the display. Look for the logo screen. At any time, while the logo screen is onscreen, press Thinkvantage Blue Button or F11.
3. Once Rescue and Recovery Predesktop area fully initiates, you'll see many option on the top and left side of your screen.
4. Under "Rescue and Restore" press "Restore your system".
5. Choose clean install of factory settings at some point during the process.

The rest of the process is self explanatory.

Please keep in mind your Windows XP is going to be wiped out again.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#45 Post by DavidNY » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 pm

Thanks, I guess I'm stuck with XP. I'm happy with it.

I'm sure I can get Vista disks when it becomes a viable OS.

draco2527

#46 Post by draco2527 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:38 pm

DavidNY wrote:Thanks, I guess I'm stuck with XP. I'm happy with it.

I'm sure I can get Vista disks when it becomes a viable OS.
I would get them NOW!! Since they provided the wrong information...or they might charge you an additional $50 later on...
X220T Multi-touch
T410
X61T (pen)
X61T X2 (pen/touch) 1-WIN7 1-WIN8
T61

hp79

Wow

#47 Post by hp79 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:20 am

I'm really glad to see that they are supporting XP tablet recovery discs. I once was trying to install XP tablet 2005 provided from my university, and spend at least two weeks with it. Ended up not working well, with problems like multi-touch, mouse cursor slowing down, and wierd things going on. That was probably like 6 months ago, since I was one of the early ones with x61 tablet on hand. I used Vista ultimate until now even though it is very slow, I just had to use it and got used to it. So, does the XP tablet recovery disc images work fine? No more multi-touch problems and no slugish-ness with combined magic? I just called lenovo support, was about to order those CDs, but then the answering maching was taking so long I just hung up.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#48 Post by DavidNY » Sat May 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I have the discs and it seems to work fine. No issues.