Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problems changing/removing HDD pwd

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
retiredat47

Problems changing/removing HDD pwd

#1 Post by retiredat47 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:21 am

Hello,

I have had a number of Thinkpads going back to the 760el. I always use the same pwd for the power on pwd and the and the same for the HDD, which is different from the power on pwd, on all my Thinkpads and have never had a problem.

Recently picked up a X60 tablet, love it. I set the power on password as well as the HDD password. No problem. I was going to back p my disk so went to remove the HDD password and it says it is incorrect. Is there a certain procedure I need to do on this tablet? When I power on it prompts me for both the power on pwd and the disk pwd and I enter them and all is well. It is only when i try to remove it that I have problems. The password was set on this laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks

richk

Re: Problems changing/removing HDD pwd

#2 Post by richk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Is it possible you set them backwards on this machine? (POP is really HDP, etc.)? Did you also remove pop? Is passphrase on?

retiredat47

Re: Problems changing/removing HDD pwd

#3 Post by retiredat47 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

I will check the passphrase. But I can remove the POP password but can't, for some reason, remove the disk password. I will play with it again in a day or so and see what I can find. I pretty much gave up on it as it isn't a big deal but now I would like to back up my disk. The passwords aren't mixed up.

Thanks,