Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Complete guide for flashing a retail HD to IBM official FW

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
messar

Complete guide for flashing a retail HD to IBM official FW

#1 Post by messar » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 am

Edit: Floppy image revised for reported error!

Warrning: Updating failure may cause unrecoverble damage to your harddisk and it may not work! This guide is only for power users.

Part A: Guide for updating retail harddisks except Hitachi 5K100/7K100 series

Step 1. Download the iso image from the following link
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-62282

Step 2. Burn the image file into a CD-R or CD-RW disc

Step 3. Check the FW.PRO file in the disc, take a 60GB harddisk of 5K80 series for example here:

; Hitachi : HTS5480xxM9AT00
;
; HTS548060M9AT00 60.0GB
"HTS548060M9AT00","MGBOA50A","MGBOA5HA","MGBIA5HA.bin","hfui12L.exe","IA5HA","/u MRLA5HA.tbl"
"HTS548060M9AT00","MGBOA55A","MGBOA5HA","MGBIA5HA.bin","hfui12L.exe","IA5HA","/u MRLA5HA.tbl"
"HTS548060M9AT00","MGBOA5BA","MGBOA5HA","MGBIA5HA.bin","hfui12L.exe","IA5HA","/u MRLA5HA.tbl"
"HTS548060M9AT00","MGBOA5DA","MGBOA5HA","MGBIA5HA.bin","hfui12L.exe","IA5HA","/u MRLA5HA.tbl"

We can see that the phrases include 4 parts of information for automated flashing work:

MGBIA5HA.bin: New firmware file
hfui12L.exe: Flash program for specified harddisk
IA5HA: Version control phrase
MRLA5HA.tbl: CHECKSUM file

Find the phrases whitch matchs your harddisk and write down the 4 parts for following work.

Step 4. Boot with the disc, press "F5" key after seeing the boot messege to skip the autoexec program

Step 5. Type in the command in the following format:

[Flash program] [Version control phrase, first char. change to O] [New firmware file] /F [CHECKSUM file]

Take a 60GB harddisk of 5K80 series for example, the command should be:

hfui12L.exe OA5HA MGBIA5HA.bin /F MRLA5HA.tbl

Excute the command and press "U" in the program, you will see the failure information. That's doesn't matter, let's exit the program and continue to the next step.

Step 6. Type in the command in the following format:

[Flash program] [Version control phrase] [New firmware file] /F [CHECKSUM file]

Take a 60GB harddisk of 5K80 series for example, the command should be:

hfui12L.exe IA5HA MGBIA5HA.bin /F MRLA5HA.tbl

Excute the command and press "U" in the program, you will see the PASS information.

Congratulations! Your harddisk has been updated to IBM official firmware

Part B: Guide for updating retail Hitachi 5K100s and 7K100s

Step 1. Download the 1.44M floppy image I provided, for I can not post with attachment here, the file is uploaded to rapidshare, please download from the following link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13761480/5K7 ... d.rar.html

Step 2. Write the image file into a floppy disk or a flash stick. It's also ok for choosing the software boot solution (vfloppy or some others), but you need another tool to extract the FW.PRO file from the image.

Step 3. Check the FW.PRO file in the disk, take a 80GB harddisk of 5K100 series for example here:

; Hitachi : HTS5410xxG9AT00
;
; HTS541080G9AT00 80.0GB
"HTS541080G9AT00","MB4IA5BJ","MB4IA60A","MB4IA60A.bdr","hfui14.exe","IA60A","/u mpbA60Ab.tbl"
"HTS541080G9AT00","MBYIA5BJ","MBYIA60A","MBYIA60A.bdr","hfui14.exe","IA60A","/u mpbA60Ab.tbl"

We can see that the phrases include 4 parts of information for automated flashing work:

MBYIA60A.bdr: New firmware file
hfui14.exe: Flash program for specified harddisk
IA60A: Version control phrase
mpbA60Ab.tbl: CHECKSUM file

Find the phrases whitch matchs your harddisk and write down the 4 parts for following work.

Step 4. Boot with the disk

[Flash program] [Version control phrase, first char. change to O] [New firmware file] /F [CHECKSUM file]

Take a 80GB harddisk of 5K100 series for example, the command should be:

hfui14.exe OA60A MBYIA60A.bdr /F mpbA60Ab.tbl

Excute the command and press "U" in the program, you will see the failure information. That's doesn't matter, let's exit the program and continue to the next step.

Step 6. Type in the command in the following format:

[Flash program] [Version control phrase] [New firmware file] /F [CHECKSUM file]

Take a 80GB harddisk of 5K100 series for example, the command should be:

hfui14.exe IA60A MBYIA60A.bdr /F mpbA60Ab.tbl

Excute the command and press "U" in the program, you will see the PASS information.

Congratulations! Your harddisk has been updated to IBM official firmware

Note for 5K100 100G user: The FW.PRO file doesn't contain a seprate part for 5K100 100G harddisk. Check the firmware version of your harddisk with AIDA32 or Everest before any work, if the firmware version is started with "MBYO", I think the following line should be the suite one for your 5K100 100G harddisk.

"HTS541080G9AT00","MBYIA5BJ","MBYIA60A","MBYIA60A.bdr","hfui14.exe","IA60A","/u mpbA60Ab.tbl"
Last edited by messar on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

DavidNZ

#2 Post by DavidNZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:13 am

Interesting! Althought, seems this doesn't seem to be workable with an external USB CD-RW drive, as the notes found within the link provided in the above post indicate:

"The hard drive firmware update utility bootable CD does not support USB optical disc drives, PCMCIA/CardBUS optical disc drives, optical disc drives in a docking station bay, or any other drives other than the optical disc drive in the ThinkPad UltraBay."

So, as an X40 owner, to update my firmware in my HDD I basically have to own the Dock and the ultrabay optical spindle. :?
X40 (2371-6EM) w/ 768 RAM
XPP SP2
DLINK DI-614+

messar

#3 Post by messar » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:55 pm

With some software, you can edit the bootlist of 2k/XP and add an option to boot from a mounted virtual floppy.

Unfortunately, all these software I already known are written for Chinese GUI, you should find one in English

lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#4 Post by lophiomys » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:17 am

@messar
thanks very much for this guide.
out of curiosity,
do you know for what reason you have to do the first flash
with Oxxxx as the version control phrase?
Lophiomys
Thinkpads with 15inch 4:3 UXGA 133DPI IPS/Flexview: 2x T43p SATA Mod., 3x T42p (dying by Flexing), 2x T60p (1xATI, 1xIntel/new BoeHydis);
R51 SXGA+; X31; X41T; X41 Sata Mod; all Made in China; 570E, 701C; MBP15c3UB non-glossy mid09 / formerly 600X, 760E

Aroc

#5 Post by Aroc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 am

DavidNZ wrote:So, as an X40 owner, to update my firmware in my HDD I basically have to own the Dock and the ultrabay optical spindle. :?
I'm having trouble exactly following what you are trying to do. I'll address two issues.
  • Flashing without a floppy drive. First you can boot to a virtual floppy as suggested above tof flashing hard drives on systems without flopppy drives. Although given the price of a USB floppy drive, I can't see why a computer technician would not have one in his toolbox. The things are pretty useful, if only once in a while. And for things like this. Or (what I often do with my wife's single-spindle ultraportable) is boot to a bootable USB key drive (256MB) with HP bootable USB drive utility. With that you would not need the floppy.
  • Flashing a 2.5inch drive in a system like a X4x that only takes 1.8 inch drives.From what I've seen, using a 2.5 inch drive is possible in a X4x, your just have the drive stick out by an inch. Not that I would run this as a permenent solution all th time, but it would be possible if for some reason you are attempting to use the X4x to flash a 2.5 inch drive.
Also given the risks with flashing the hard disk while booted from said hard disk introduces risks, I would boot from a USB floppy or from a USB key drive. Also booting from a virtual floppy in a USB hard disk enclousure would be a possiblity (then flashing the other hard disk currently in the 1.8 inch drive slot).

I guess I fail to understand why you need to boot and use the hard disk in an external fashion. I'm just simply not following hwat you are attempting to do Maybe you could clarify for me and others (who are confused) :?: :?: Depending on what you are attempting to do, I'm not convinced you need the external dock and drive bay.[/list][/list]
IBM X220 | T61p | R61e | T43 | Black Macbook | i5 Hackintosh | i7 iMac 27 | Dell 3007WFP-HC WQXGA

DavidNZ

#6 Post by DavidNZ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 am

This link (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-62282) provides an ISO for making a bootable CD. So, if used, you're not booting from the HD that you are about to flash. According to that link, the X40 is supported, and my hard drive type (DK13FA) is in fact supported.

The problem for me is when I read the notes under 'installation instructions'. For example, it says:

"The hard drive firmware update utility bootable CD does not support USB optical disc drives, PCMCIA/CardBUS optical disc drives, optical disc drives in a docking station bay, or any other drives other than the optical disc drive in the ThinkPad UltraBay."

This means that I cannot use the Creative external USB CD drive that I have. In other words, you can't upgrade the firmware using your bootable CD that you've created using the ISO if the CD drive you are using is connected via USB.

My point was that it is frustrating for those of us who do not have the dock and the ultrabay, which is the only method of upgrading the firmware that is supported.
X40 (2371-6EM) w/ 768 RAM
XPP SP2
DLINK DI-614+

messar

#7 Post by messar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:13 pm

DavidNZ wrote:This link (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-62282) provides an ISO for making a bootable CD. So, if used, you're not booting from the HD that you are about to flash. According to that link, the X40 is supported, and my hard drive type (DK13FA) is in fact supported.

The problem for me is when I read the notes under 'installation instructions'. For example, it says:

This means that I cannot use the Creative external USB CD drive that I have. In other words, you can't upgrade the firmware using your bootable CD that you've created using the ISO if the CD drive you are using is connected via USB.

My point was that it is frustrating for those of us who do not have the dock and the ultrabay, which is the only method of upgrading the firmware that is supported.
I have made the floppy image for Hitachi 1.8" DK1x series harddisk and uploaded to rapidshare, please download with the following link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13719112/DK1X.rar.html

But here is a question, the specfied line for updating this series is diffrent from I have mentioned in the solution. I have tried hfuh07.exe in dry run mode but got no help message.

So the only way You should try is boot with the floppy image, and the fw.exe will run automatically. If the program can't update your harddisk, I have no idea for solution. Sorry...

messar

#8 Post by messar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:17 pm

lophiomys wrote:@messar
thanks very much for this guide.
out of curiosity,
do you know for what reason you have to do the first flash
with Oxxxx as the version control phrase?
May be it changs a flag in the firmware, or just a value in the register :wink:

GangBang
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

#9 Post by GangBang » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Messar:
On following link I restate your statement again:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=20944

I download yours at rapidhare and extract .img with extractnow.. and it seems to be corrupted(cannot boot). But I managed it by copy all files except system files to my bootable floopy which I had created from IBM Firmware updated..
T20, X20, T30, T40p 2373-G1A(Upgraded to 2.1 Ghz 765, 2GB Samsung DDR PC2700, HDD 72K60), T43 2668-4DA(upgraded to (replaced)MOBO w/ 128MB FireGL V3200, BMDC3, 2GB Crucial DDR2 533, Multiburner Plus, HDD 7K100)

messar

#10 Post by messar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:52 pm

GangBang wrote:Messar:
On following link I restate your statement again:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=20944

I download yours at rapidhare and extract .img with extractnow.. and it seems to be corrupted(cannot boot). But I managed it by copy all files except system files to my bootable floopy which I had created from IBM Firmware updated..
Maybe some error occured during the upload? I made a second copy of the file, first topic edited

Aroc

#11 Post by Aroc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:29 am

Hello -

I updated my Hitachi 7k100 100GB drive with the IBM/Lenovo MCZIA51A firmware. No more 2010 error on my T43. Thanks Messar!

Aaron
IBM X220 | T61p | R61e | T43 | Black Macbook | i5 Hackintosh | i7 iMac 27 | Dell 3007WFP-HC WQXGA

dmichael

Re: Complete guide for flashing a retail HD to IBM official

#12 Post by dmichael » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 pm

messar wrote: Warrning: Updating failure may cause unrecoverble damage to your harddisk and it may not work! This guide is only for power users.
I am not a power user, so I wouldnt go through all this. I just ordered a T43 with a 60gb HDD. I had every intention to get an aftermarket 100-120gb when prices float down a bit more and use that as the primary HDD and stick the original 60 in a USB enclosure to use as an extra backup of critical files.

I am now regretting my purchase and I am considering returning it to Lenovo. If it wasn't already enroute from Hong Kong, I might have cancelled the order.

The question I have is if I chose to pay the exorbinant price Lenovo is asking for a 100gb HDD, assuming I order it from their website, will it have the proper firmware in place and work perfectly out of the box with the only work on my part being to set it up with the R&R discs?

Thanks

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Complete guide for flashing a retail HD to IBM official

#13 Post by bill bolton » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:19 am

dmichael wrote:I had every intention to get an aftermarket 100-120gb when prices float down a bit more
In that case just wait and see what's in the market (and supported in the whatever is the current release of the T43 BIOS at that time), when that point is reached by your estimation! :idea:

There are certainly some commonly available drives, like the Fujitsu MHV2xxx series (which includes 100GB and 120GB drives) that seem to be T43 compatible, and ungradeable by the standard IBM firmware process, without going through any special hoops.

I'm currently using both IBM and after market supplied MHV2080 drives (80GB) interchangeably in a T43.

Cheers,

Bill

ChrisKinsman

Sample command line for 7K100?

#14 Post by ChrisKinsman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Not clear what the command line for the Hitachi 80GB 7k100 would be. Tips?

Terabyte

#15 Post by Terabyte » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:16 pm

I have corrected the error!

My HDD:
Model: HTS548080M9AT00
Firmware revision: MG4OA53A

Download ISO.
Edit MRLA5HA.TBL, change A55A to A53A and remove all checksums but 9AAA3CF1.
Then run HFUI12L.EXE OA5HA -pm MG4IA5HA.BIN /U MRLA5HA.TBL

(c) 732

aograin

100GB 7k100 Hitachi Problems

#16 Post by aograin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:40 am

Ok, long time reader, first time poster… anyways I just purchased a 100GB 7k100 Hitachi and am having trouble updating the firmware. Here’s what I’ve done so far…

I’ve downloaded and booted from a USB flash drive the files provided by Messar. Yet I can’t get them to work correctly.

The firmware that came with the drive is (MCZOA51A) I need (MCZIA51A).

I’ve tried the:

HFUI15.EXE OA51A MCZIA51.BDR /F MPCA51AB.TBL (and then)

HFUI15.EXE IA51A MCZIA51.BDR /F MPCA51AB.TBL

But I get these errors:

(Execution Status Window)
Checking Drive 0 (Device 0 on Primary Bus)
Soft reset failed. Error code=ff80

Am I missing something? Should I copy my operating system onto the drive first?
Maybe someone has bootable cd.iso that worked for them they could post. As always, thanks for any help.

aograin

#17 Post by aograin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Ok, I figured it out. when I created the USB boot drive using HP's utility, I just copied the files over directly onto it. What I needed to do was to create a folder and then put the files into that folder. But that fixed the problem.

u.vivarelli

#18 Post by u.vivarelli » Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 pm

i've a problem with these steps:

Step 4. Boot with the disc, press "F5" key after seeing the boot messege to skip the autoexec program

boot with the disk: which disk? the disk with the HD firmaware?
press F5: when?

I've 5 options but not "exclude autoexec.bat"....

excuse me for the simple answer....

thanks

AndromedaSystems

Thanks for a terrific recipie! But sadly, my A21p won't boot

#19 Post by AndromedaSystems » Tue May 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks so much for posting this easy-to-follow recipie for marking Hitachi drives as being IBM OEM drives!

When I tried it, using OA60A as the version control phrase in the first step, the hfui14 program told me that the drive was already at that firmware version (I had previously run the flash upgrade program in it's default state).

On the next pass, it gave me two enigmatic messages:
UNMATCH ORIGINAL FIRMWARE LEVEL
MUST BE UPDATED IBM FIRMWARE

Has anyone seen this behaviour? The drive actually works perfectly, as long as I don't try to boot from it.

When I try to boot from the drive though, it goes through POST, accesses the hard drive, and hangs with a flashing cursor and no messages of any kind.

I would have taken this as meaning that there was no MBR (Master Boot Record) on the drive - but there is. Also, there is just one active partition, marked as being bootable.

So ... I'm very confused! Does anyone have the slightest idea why this isn't working?

I've tried this with two Hitachi drives:
an HTS541080G9AT00, and
an HTS721080G9AT00
(the 5400 RPM and the 7200 RPM version of the ATA 80 Gb Travelstar).

Thanks!
John
Andromeda

porkfat

#20 Post by porkfat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:20 pm

For anyone wanting to do this with a bootable .ISO cd, I just (finally... after 5 discs) successfully updated a new 7K100 100gb drive from MCZOA51A to MCZIA51A in a T41 using this method:

1) Downloaded messar's *revised* .RAR file: http://rapidshare.de/files/13761480/5K7 ... d.rar.html Extracted the .img file to desktop with WinRAR.

2) Downloaded/installed WinImage (free trial) here: http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

3) Created a bootable DOS .ISO image per the instructions given very simply here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/cdromsi/
Links for all the files necessary to create an XP boot disc are provided.

For step 4 in creating the CD, I extracted file contents of the 5K7K100.img using WinImage to the suggested directory (C:\bcd\cds\cdromsi\files), then deleted autoexec.bat and autoruns.exe from that directory in order to be able to enter the appropriate command for my drive.

Built the .ISO and burned it to CD at command prompt as instructed by entering C:\bcd\bcd cdromsi

4) Booted up with the CD in the ultrabay (make sure to set boot priority to CD/DVD drive in the BIOS...yada yada) Went through the program as messar has described in his original post.

Went without a hitch!

I love this forum :D Thanks messar!

kstuart
Sophomore Member

#21 Post by kstuart » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:24 pm

Just curious - what are the advantages (or necessities) of doing this?
- Ken Stuart

T40 (2373-12U) 1.3ghz, 1.5gb, 40gb5k80, 14"XGA, 2200bg, 9-cell, Infocase
600X (2645-5EU) 500mhz, 320mb, 10gb, 13"XGA

wobw

Updating Firmware for Retail Hitachi HTS548080M9AT00

#22 Post by wobw » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:13 pm

After discovering this thread I had renewed hopes of upgrading my 40 GB TP-43 with an 80GB HD.

I followed the Messar instuctions for updating Firmware for Retail Hitachi HTS548080M9AT00.

I had to update the file names as Lenovo has posted a newer version of the firmware. (April/2006)

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get this to work. I have tried this with Messar's F5 approach and by burning a Bootable CD and a Bootable Floppy without the FW command.

Per the instructions the command I have used is:

hfui12L.exe OA5HA MG4IA5HA.bin /F MRLA5HA.tbl

hfui12L.exe IA5HA MG4IA5HA.bin /F MRLA5HA.tbl

No matter what method I use each time I execute either of the above programs, the system sends an error message:

Invalid *.BIN Parameter Name!!MG4IA5HA.bin

I have checked and rechecked the characters and syntax,

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?
Or provide a method that has worked with this drive.
T43 (2687-D4U) - 1.86GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB 5400 (IBM-firmware Hitachi) HD, 802.11abg, ATI x300

MoWoM

Oh my God it worked...

#23 Post by MoWoM » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Hey all,

First, Thank God for this forum...

Second, Super thanks for the imaging solution!

Ok, the nitty gritty...

I have an a21p Thinkpad, and I just bought an 80 GB Hitachi 7200 RPM Drive. After Ghosting, it would not boot! Thanks to thinkpads.com and specifically Messar for the instructions... When the firmware upgrade told me I didn't need the upgrade I got worried... But, I found the page suggesting the drive cloning and I was saved. If I installed fresh windows or Ghosted a working OS, no boot. If I Ghost my system across the network, switched the drives and Ghost back to the new drive, BAM!

Thank you so very much! I love my a21p!!!! And my new 80GB 7200 RPM Drive!!!

MoWoM

oiskeeper at hotmail dot com

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by rkawakami » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:38 am

It's been asked earlier but not answered as far as I can tell, but why is it required/suggested (?) that the firmware of the target drive be upgraded prior to a disk clone operation? :? I came across this thread when reading about an upgrade that somebody was trying to do with their T21:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=28027

I have used Norton Ghost 2003 many times now on brand new drives and also on used drives and have never done this operation. What benefits are gained? Is it something for the recovery partition (which I have not ever used or copied as far as I remember)? How about the password locking mechanism? All of my clones have been from a single partition source drive onto a same sized or larger drive. Currently the largest disk I've used is a 60GB Hitachi (was brand new). I use an Ultrabay disk drive adapter for the target drive and boot Ghost from an external floppy disk. I've cloned both Windows XP and 2000. The only time something has gone horribly wrong is when I tried cloning the first time and booted with both drives installed :shock: . This was done using Norton Ghost running from Windows. That's why I now run Ghost from a bootable floppy :D . After each cloning operation and the target drive is booted in the system, Windows will usually "see" that the drive is different and request a re-boot. After that is done I see no problems using the drive.

Inquiring minds want to know.... Thanks!
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

NovaxX

#25 Post by NovaxX » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:50 pm

I am looking into buying the 160GB, 5400rpm Hard Disk from the Hitachi 5K160 series and would like to know if the drives can be done in a similar fashion as instructed by messar?

If so, how do I go about it?

The model codes are different if I'm not wrong, so that will mean that the flash software is different right?

djpharoah

#26 Post by djpharoah » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I was having issues with hdaps in linux and harddrive protection in windows when I decided to flash my 7k60 HT726060M9AT00.

Original:
Firmware = A68A (Retail)

After Mod:
Firmware = A6GA (IBM)

These are the commands I ran - they are a bit modified for my hard drive .

NOTE
: Use the correct flashing utility for your harddrive. Check FW.PRO on the IBM cd.

Code: Select all

Z:\ hfui12l.exe OA6GA -pm MH4IA6GA.bin /F MRHA6GA.tbl
* Launches the utility - eventually will fail update *
* Will kick you back out to the DOS prompt *

Z:\ hfui12l.exe IA6GA -pm MH4IA6GA.bin /F MRHA6GA.tbl
* Launches the utility - will then type out PASS in ASCII letters *
* Kicks you out to DOS *
* Then shutdown your Laptop *
I want to thank my friend Whoopie on IRC who came through for me and helped me out a lot.

*EDIT* actually it seems my problem isnt fully solved. I am now using a drive with the MH40A6GA firmware instead of MH4IA6GA. The firmware utility keeps telling me my drive is IA6GA but linux tells me OA6GA.
T400 14.1" WXGA+ LCD / T9400 / 4GB / 160gb / ATi+Intel GFX / 9C / W7 64
T42p 14" SXGA+ / 2.0GHz / 1.5GB / 60GB / 2 x 6C / XP
T40 14" XGA / 1.7GHz / 1GB / 40GB / 9C / XP
T40 14" SXGA+ / 1.7GHz / 1GB / 40GB / 6C / XP
Sold: A31, A31p, A20m, T20, T23

mono666

#27 Post by mono666 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 pm

The link for the 1.8inch drive is dead, please reshare it again :)
X41 Tablet
1.5GB Ram
20GB HDD
Tablet is not working ><

marktol

#28 Post by marktol » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:53 pm

I hate to admit but im having some serious problems getting a fix for this problem to work. Ive been following everyones instructions and for some reason or another it just will not work. Ive got a T43 and ive purchased a 100gb 7k100 Hitachi. The firmware on the drive is that which is listed in other peoples posts Mczoa51A. Im trying to build an image to a cd, as I dont have a floppy and Ive given up trying to get a flash drive to work. I have spent hours trying to get this done and I cant seem to do it, so im desperate for some help...

Is there any somon could be kind enough to provide me with an iso image I can burn and the command to use for my drive once ive booted to it. I would be truly gratefull for any help!!!

Ive tried following peoples posts to create a bootable cd but i keep getting errors etc.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Blapp

#29 Post by Blapp » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:16 pm

I have uploaded the bootable CD image to rapid share.

http://rapidshare.com/files/8425286/5k7k100.iso.html

This was made using debian and the following commands -

unrar e 5K7K100_Revised.rar
sudo mount -o loop,ro 5K7K100.img /mnt/test
mkdir /tmp/5k7k100
cp -Rp /mnt/test/* /tmp/5k7k100
cp -p 5K7K100.img /tmp/5k7k100
mkisofs -pad -b 5K7K100.img -R -o /tmp/5k7k100.iso /tmp/5k7k100

and then burnt to CD using -

cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=12 -pad -v -eject /tmp/5k7k100.iso

I was able to boot this CD and upgrade a Hitachi HTS721010G9AT00 (MCZOA51A) 7200rpm 100GB drive on a T43p and stop the 2010 error using the following procedure:

Boot from CD
Press F5 when it displays "Starting PC-DOS"
At the prompt (A:\) type:

hfui15.exe OA51A MCZIA51A.bdr /F mpcA51Ab.tbl

Press return
Press u when given the option on new screen
Press any button when after a while red error message is diplayed
When returned to the prompt type:

hfui15.exe IA51A MCZIA51A.bdr /F mpcA51Ab.tbl

Press return
Press u when given the option on new screen
Press any key when big PASS message displayed.
Alt-Ctrl-Del

I had much trouble trying to write the image to a USB pen drive with HP's utility so I hope this spares some people similar frustrations.

automatic_jack

#30 Post by automatic_jack » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi,

If I don' t have an IBM Thinkpad, are there any advantages in upgrading my hd firmware with an IBM one?

Thanks and sorry for my English :)