Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Price Protection Plan

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
hart22

Lenovo Price Protection Plan

#1 Post by hart22 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am

Questions regarding whether Lenovo will refund the price difference for a new machine if the price drops shortly after purchase come up in this forum from time to time, but it seems like most explanations get lost in the large volume of posts typically generated.

And whereas I'm not precisely sure about the current accuracy of the following, I am certain that up until the recent past Lenovo did have a price protection plan, having invoked it on occasion myself.

Lenovo's Price Protection Plan:

You qualify for the plan if the price of the exact same configuration machine drops within 21 days of your original order ship date.

To invoke the plan, you must return to the Lenovo online store (works both for the main store as well as machines from the Outlet), and configure a machine with the exact same specifications as your previous order. You may apply any current coupon codes when doing so, and of course current stackable sales also apply. Once you have obtained the exact same machine at a lower price, proceed to the purchase pages. On one of the final transaction pages, there is an option to save the configuration as a quote.

Save your quote, and contact Lenovo. Inquire about the price protection plan, and mention that you already have a lower price quote saved under your customer profile (you should use the same profile when saving the quote as your original order).

You should receive a refund of the price difference if you contact Lenovo within the 21-day window.

By following these steps I saved 25% off the price of my ThinkCentre, which I used towards the purchase of a monitor.

Cheers
Current: T430
Past: T42 | T60 | T61 | X61T | T410

basketb
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Lenovo Price Protection Plan

#2 Post by basketb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Do you have link to this policy? It's no good if it was valid recently but not now.
Also,
hart22 wrote:... On one of the final transaction pages, there is an option to save the configuration as a quote...
I can't see this option anywhere. Can you point me to where exactly it should be?

hart22

#3 Post by hart22 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:24 pm

basketb wrote:Do you have link to this policy? It's no good if it was valid recently but not now.
As in the past when the policy was active and worked for several forum members who inquired (search the forum for "price protection plan"), the policy is not advertised. I don't exactly blame Lenovo, as they're the ones footing the bill each time it is invoked.
basketb wrote:I can't see this option anywhere. Can you point me to where exactly it should be?
To see the option you can't simply configure a machine as you would when you're testing the prices of various makes and models. You have to confirm the specifications, either log in to your account or create a new profile, enter in your information, and reach the actual final order page. There are two options: 1) A button to "Order", and 2) A button to "Convert to Quote".

Hope that helps.

P.S.: If any member has successfully invoked the plan recently, can he/she please post a confirmation here, so that others may benefit?

hart22

#4 Post by hart22 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 am

I wanted to confirm that the Lenovo price protection plan is still in place. I used it today with the St. Patrick's day sale to get a ~$50 refund on the T410 I ordered recently. To qualify for a refund you must:

1) Create a "Quote" with the exact same specifications as your original order, including all warranty options and accessories. The "Convert to Quote" option is accessible on the last page before placing your order, after you've logged in. Save the quote number it gives you.
2) Have the price of your machine drop within 21 days of the original ship date. If there are multiple items in your order and it was split during shipping then the ship dates of the respective items in the order are treated separately.
3) Contact a Lenovo sales rep and ask for the price protection plan. Have your original order number as well as your quote number ready.

Hope this helps.

hart22

#5 Post by hart22 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Well I'm writing to express my frustration dealing with Lenovo regarding the price protection plan mentioned above. I still haven't received the ~$50 refund after invoking the price match on March 15th, and after speaking with a representative as well as his supervisor today it appears I never will.

To recap: the price protection plan is real and it is in place. However, it is never advertised, and furthermore you may wind up like me: today I call Lenovo after never receiving a credit to my account. The sales rep informs me that there are no records anywhere of me ever attempting to use the price match, or even calling regarding the matter. After speaking with his supervisor, who tells me (courteously; I give her credit for that) they can only act based on what the system says and not based on my word, I walk away with nothing except frustration to show for the matter. Even my saved quote didn't help, as it has expired.

So my advice to people trying the price protection plan / price match (they it called price match on the phone today) is to record the name of the sales rep who confirms you are eligible and have applied, and even better to try to get a reference number. I've done this enough times in the past with previous orders that I neglected to do it this time.

AMATX

#6 Post by AMATX » Mon May 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Also, get the email id of the sales rep and, if possible, have them send you a note detailing the situation. Good doc if needed later.

If the rep won't send you confirmation, you can at least send them a note with the details, for future reference.

Fattious

#7 Post by Fattious » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:21 am

Lenovo do not offer price protection in Asia Pacific. I ordered a clearance X200 from the online Lenovo shop and tried to claim protection as it had dropped $100 two days after ordering. The rep in sales said that they know nothing about protection but said support may so they put me thru there and the rep said that there is no protection offered in Asia Pacific Lenovo.

HiLine

#8 Post by HiLine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 am

I have recently successfully invoked this policy. I'm waiting for the $~70 to be credited to my bank account. PPP confirmations have been sent to my e-mail though. :)