thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Instant Linux, Win7x64, Mac OSX on Diff HDDs merge into Multi boot config on one SSD?

I will hopefully get time to this kind of experiment after ages. I used to re-partiion and multi-boot Win 9x, Win 2000 Pro/ Server, Win XP, etc.

Have also hackintoshed an old Dell 9300. Unfortunately, due to circumstances I havent been able to play with it past the initial install. Such is life.

What I have:

Thinkpad X61T Tablet PC with 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory.

HDD 1: Win 7 x64 - Primary OS and Usage
HDD 2: Mac OSX (SL or Lion H#ckintosh) (Planned in next few weeks) - Experimental

Several .ISOs = Instant On Linux OSes which I am checking. Will pick one finally.

SSD 3: 256 GB SSD.

I know that its possible to Dual/ Triple / Multi-boot these OSes (Many tutorials/ How to links online). But, its been ages since I've had time to do such EXPERIMENTS.

What I'd like to do & could use some suggestions/ advise based on peoples experiences:

1) SSD: Partition/ Resize Partitions appropriately for Win 7, Mac OSX & Linux.

- Win 7 - Given that it will be my primary usage OS I will probabgly migrate it soonest to SSD.
- Mac OSX - I'll be playing with it on the HDD2 to see whether I want SL or Lion and other apps etc to see my usage. This will be a "late" migration.
- Linux: It can be sooner, but I'd like the ability to "replace" / "swap" between the Instant OSes in case I like One over another.

- What kind or Partition ORDER would you suggest?
- What kind of Parition Sizes should I keep for them? Especially Win vs Mac? Any suggestions?

- Assuming I keep less for Mac OSX now and later start liking it more, is there some easy way to REPARITION the partition sizes (I've done this many times for multiple Windows OSes using Partition Magic / Acronis / Paragon Partition tools)

- I also have the Mac OSX Disk/ Partition related tools - iPartition etc. I just havent played with them yet.

Any ADVISE/ SUGGESTIONS / Words of Wisdome on how I should go about with this would be great.

2) HDDs: I have several 2.5" HDDs (External and Internal) to play around with. Also, will be using them for SECONDARY STORAGE / Excessive large media/ data.

T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)