GUIDE version 20022010
10302009 - Initial Version
10312009 - Repaired lid closing sleep issue using ClamShellDisplay.kext
11092009 - Added a link to a guide on time machine to AFP shares
20022010 - Updated some kexts for 10.6.2 and updated SOUND section for working MIC (VoodooHDA 0.2.35)
07012010 - Added preface with links to Silencer's guide to DSDT patching=== PREFACE ==
I have moved extensively out of this guide and into Silencer's DSDT patching methodology outlined here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=85344
With the DSDT patching method you are essentially "upgrade-proof" as everything you need lives in /Extra and you don't rely on drivers that are locked to certain builds. I've achieved full compatibility this way and encourage all to read his guide over hacking through mine.===STILL WANT TO READ ON?===
*** This is an UPGRADE Guide as I rely on Leopard to stage a hard drive with Snow Leopard on it. If you need to install from scratch I suggest finding a distro version of Snow Leopard ***
First off here's a summary of what works and what doesn't.Summary
- Video works fully with resolution switching and CI/QE (details below)
- Sound works with VoodooHDA.kext
- Mic DOES
work with VoodooHDA 0.2.35 (the kext is in the zip file)
- Wifi (Atheros) full working OOB
- GigE Ethernet works OOB (with time machine patch ToH)
- Bluetooth works OOB
- Battery meter working with VoodooBattery.kext
- Sleep works (!) with removal of AppleLPC.kext(s) wakes using software, power button and lid close using AppleSMBIOS-38-AnV-SnowLeopard
- Speedstep Working with VoodooPower.kext
- TIme machine works with some changes made to the sparsebundle Acknowledgements
This guide was pulled together from various pieces from many many talented and hardworking hackintoshers. It would be impossible to list them all but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the following people/guides I have made much use of:
[*] The Chameleon bootloader guys at chameleon.osx86.hu
[*] Superhai for all the Voodoo goodness
[*] Technojunkie for his Snow Leopard Guide
[*] AndyVand for SMBIOS
[*] itsjstagame for lots of T60 related hackintoshing
[*] NIXin for the guide on SL on an X61 on infinitemac.com
[*] The anonymous user who posted a T60 1952-AP2 guide on osx86project.org wiki (as well as the kexts)
[*] Silencer for pointing me to VoodooHDA v0.2.35 Guide
Download my zip file of kexts, tools and scripts first then read on... (UPDATED with ClamShellDisplay.kext)- Version 11092009 -http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ljydtj02knn- Version 20022010 -http://www.mediafire.com/file/titkz5jtnu5/Vanilla_10.6.2_t60p_2007cq8_pkg.zip
I've broken the guide up into sections to get each block of hardware working. After each section I will write "fix permissions" which means the following (I just wrote a shell script for this).
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
If you are running windows, I highly recommend you download Phoenix EDID designer and dump your LCD EDID information to a .dat filehttp://www.tucows.com/preview/329441
Your EDID information from Phoenix will look like something like this:
0x 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
00 | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 24 4D 4D 25 00 00 00 00
10 | 00 0E 01 03 80 1D 15 78 EE EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26
20 | 0F 50 54 21 08 00 81 80 90 40 01 01 01 01 01 01
30 | 01 01 01 01 01 01 30 2A 78 20 51 1A 10 40 30 70
40 | 13 00 1E D6 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 54 68 69
50 | 6E 6B 50 61 64 20 4C 43 44 20 00 00 00 FC 00 31
60 | 34 30 30 78 31 30 35 30 0A 20 20 20 00 00 00 00
70 | 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B8
Save this file for later use with ATIinject.kext...
1. Buy a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6
2. Stage your drive in a USB enclosure and plug it into a machine running OSX
3. Follow TechnoJunkie's guide to setup the drive http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/08/how- ... ackintosh/
4. Perform Phase 1 and Phase 2 (up to step #4) [In your case yo can use my extensions or his, they are essentially the same]
BASIC BOOT STUFF
There are a couple of kexts that need to be copied over for Vanilla Snow Leopard to boot.
1. Copy everything from my Extras folder to /Extra/Extensions
sudo mkdir /Extra
sudo mkdir /Extra/Extensions
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_extra_extensions/* /Extra/Extensions
2. Copy the IOATAFamily.kext to the System/Library/Extensions folder (if you don't you will get a kernel panic)
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions
3. Copy the PS2 driver over or no keyboard for you!
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions
4. Fix permissions
5. At this stage you should have a bootable drive running Chameleon and Snow Leopard.
6. Try booting your USB drive by pushing the boot priority of your USB drive to the top of the list in your BIOS
7. In Chameleon select -f -v -x32 -s (this will boot single user mode and give you an idea of you're in good shape). If you see a prompt you are in good shape
8. Assuming all went well you can run
to fix your filesystem and then
to mount the drive
9. As a safety net I would repair the permissions to /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions
10. Now reboot and select -f -v in chameleon
11. cross your fingers
12. Hopefully you are booted with probably 1024x768 and no battery or audio but wifi ought to work OOB
*** If you want two finger scrolling you can replace ApplePS2Controller.kext with VoodooPS2Controller.kext but you will lose the nubby mouse in favour of a cooler synaptics driver for the touchpad ***
Just need to load up VoodooHDA and disable the build in HDA
1. noload the AppleHDA.kext
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.noload
2. Install the VoodooHDA.kext
sudo cp. -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
3. Fix permissions
5. Install the snow leopard Pref pane from the tools directory
6. The MIC shows up as "CD" in the pref pane, adjust the levels to the right and test with the "speech" pref pane program, adjust as needed.
Yay sound with mic!
This one is a two parter as we want to get CI/QE working first using the standard (mouse tearing) solution
1. Click on "About this Mac"
2. Click on "more info"
3. Click on "Graphics/Displays"
4. Note the Vendor number (1002)
5. Note the DeviceID (71c4)
6. Open a terminal
8. edit 'Info.plist' and add your DeviceID and VendorID from above to the 'IOPCIMatch' key in the file
<string>0x71C41002 0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C5100
2 0x71C01002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002</string>
9. Now you need to unload the following kexts from /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATIFrameBuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIFrameBuffer.kext.noload
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATISupport.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATISupport.kext.noload
10. Save the files and fix permissions
We don't edit the com.apple.Boot.plist this time because it actually ends up killing resolution switching after we complete part 2
Now you want to add my custom ATIinject.kext and ATINDRV.kext*** Warning *** this uses MY EDID which means you can get serious video artifacting if your hardware is any different from mine!!
The key section in the Info.plist here is the EDID block which I have attached below
Note that the EDID block is encoded somehow.
You will need to use Plist editor pro (from apple) to convert the .dat file saved from Pheonix in the PREP stage and format it for the ATIinject Info.plist format.http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/d ... itpro.html
Basically you need to break the .dat data into 32bit words (instead of 8 bit words as output by Phoenix). Once the entire EDID is stored as a string of 32 bit words you can copy it straight overtop what I already have under DFP1,EDID (data). Send me a PM if you're confused.
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions//ATIinject.kext .
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions//ATINDRV.kext .
4. Use Plist Editor Pro to update with YOUR EDID info
5. Fix permissions
Fingers crossed if you boot back in without crashing and still in 1400x1050 you're golden!
6. Check your mac video settings and see if you still have CI/QE (I noticed my vendor id changed to 71c5 - shrug).
Mouse tearing should be gone and if you activate screen saver it should be zippy
I decided to use the AnV-SMBIOS-38 compiled for Snow Leopard, it does wonders and it avoids the messiness of editing the smbios.plist file which is really just text display stuff.
So lets turn on battery and make sleep work...
You also want to disable AppleLPC.kext to prevent the Thinkpad security warning
sudo mv AppleLPC.kext AppleLPC.kext.noload
sudo cp. -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/VoodooBattery.kext .
4. Copy the AnyV-SMBIOS-38 driver over
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions
5. Fix permissions
Now sleep should also work with the lid and the sleep button.
*** At this point you should also have the battery meter working ***
I decided to use Superhai's Voodoopower.kext.
1. Copy the kext over to System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp -r <mypackage>/kext_to_system_library_extensions/VoodooPower.kext .
2. Make sure to unload AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
sudo kextunload AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
3. Load the Voodoo kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPower.kext
4. Load up a frequency display program - GenericCPUControl.app (you will find it in <mypackage>/tools/GenericCPUControl/build/Debug)
5. If you havn't crashed out or had a panic, you should see your CPU and the throttling
6. Noload the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
sudo mV /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.noload
Speedstep is working!
In 10.6 they changed the way time machine makes sparsebundles. Refer to this guide for instructions.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1324642