Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

DSDT Patching for Dummies - SnowLeo with 100% vanilla /S/L/E

OS-X on ThinkPads
plastikman

Re: DSDT Patching for Dummies - SnowLeo with 100% vanilla /S/L/E

#121 Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Silencer wrote: Check this guide for p-states and c-states. If you don't have p-states, means no real SpeedStep for you. Also, MBP1,2 is not really similar to our T60p, ours is more similar to MBP2,1 or MBP2,2.

i have an older CPU in my box...it does not even support 64bits :(

there is no link posted there

Silencer

#122 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 pm

plastikman wrote: I am using VoodooHDA from here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355
i do not care about microphone :)
Still, you can you my Info.plist, and you will have it without any hassle. It is better to have more stuff working - closer to real macs :)
ThinkPad T60p with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600
4GB RAM, ATI FireGL V5200 256MB (1400x1050)

Silencer

#123 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:02 pm

plastikman wrote:i have an older CPU in my box...it does not even support 64bits :(
there is no link posted there
The first post of this thread is the guide :) Even with older CPU you should have p-states and c-states for better power management.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#124 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

plastikman wrote:No tearing and I have resolution change ability. it took me a LONG time to get the EFI string just right.
You should try it out.
Ok, you're now officially my hero! It bloody works perfectly! I cannot believe it! And the most important thing, it works in x64! Now I have all hardware drivers enabled in x64! Unbelievable!

Initially I had display artefact where everything sort of duplicated with flickering, like with a bad refresh ratio on old CRT monitors. When I changed resolution to something lower and then back - artefact disappeared, but it was back after reboot. I had to extract your EFI and add my EDID there to make it work.

Thank you again, the solution is wonderful. I don't know how I missed ATI1600Controller. I didn't even know it existed!
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#125 Post by Harryc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

@ Silencer, you'll be a legend around these parts if you complete an A through Z how-to on every step to making this work on a T60P with the V5200. Ref your first post ... complete the puzzle.

plastikman

#126 Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Silencer wrote: Ok, you're now officially my hero! It bloody works perfectly! I cannot believe it! And the most important thing, it works in x64! Now I have all hardware drivers enabled in x64! Unbelievable!

Initially I had display artefact where everything sort of duplicated with flickering, like with a bad refresh ratio on old CRT monitors. When I changed resolution to something lower and then back - artefact disappeared, but it was back after reboot. I had to extract your EFI and add my EDID there to make it work.

Thank you again, the solution is wonderful. I don't know how I missed ATI1600Controller. I didn't even know it existed!

You are welcome, you hooked up some good DSDT fixes so lets call it even :) :banana:

Silencer

#127 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Harryc wrote:@ Silencer, you'll be a legend around these parts if you complete an A through Z how-to on every step to making this work on a T60P with the V5200. Ref your first post ... complete the puzzle.
Will do, although it is very easy now.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#128 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Silencer wrote:Initially I had display artefact where everything sort of duplicated with flickering, like with a bad refresh ratio on old CRT monitors. When I changed resolution to something lower and then back - artefact disappeared, but it was back after reboot. I had to extract your EFI and add my EDID there to make it work.
Scratch that, looks like the problem is not in EDID. Image flickering appears when I try to boot with Refresh Rate set to 60Hz. If I switch it to 50Hz, it works fine.

plastikman, can you please check which Refresh Rate you have and if it is set to 50Hz, try to boot with 60Hz?

Also, as far as I understand, you have Sleep working fine with VoodooHDA. This is another mystery to me, because I never managed to wake my T60p up when using VoodooHDA. Can you please compile and upload the full /Extra contents and any kexts you have in /S/L/E? Also, if possible, post a dump of your kextstat and full dump of IORegistryExplorer. I really want to compare your and mine to see what can I do about Sleep.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

unbehagen

#129 Post by unbehagen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Here is my VoodooHDA sound driver for T60 ( 2008 - CTO ) running 10.6.0 snow leopard , with working internal microphone:
http://rapidshare.com/files/376340966/V ... A.kext.zip

I got it here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355 (Download here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=483 - russian ) with node patches (NodesToPatch) info.plist section from here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... #entry2283

I'm using the supplied DSDT from this thread and it seems to be working great.

The only small problem is that skype sounds (not speech, only the sounds it plays when skype is started or a contact comes online) are a bit broken. Everything else is great. Plus sleep seems to work with this driver - though not fully working on my system because i think i need radeonhd.kext (madchicken version from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=190586 ), which fails to turn the display back on after sleep. Does anyone have a solution for getting ati mobility X1400 to work without radeonhd? Can I use an Injector or EFI string to turn on the internal display? Did anyone find a solution for this?

I supplied all the links and used as many google-friendly search terms as i could because i know this is a pain to search for. Took me a while to get things working. Hope this doesnt make it hard to read.

Silencer

#130 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:34 pm

unbehagen wrote: The only small problem is that skype sounds (not speech, only the sounds it plays when skype is started or a contact comes online) are a bit broken. Everything else is great. Plus sleep seems to work with this driver - though not fully working on my system because i think i need radeonhd.kext (madchicken version from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=190586 ), which fails to turn the display back on after sleep.
What do you mean by "fails to turn on display after sleep"? Does sleep lid indicator (small half-moon) stays on after you try to wake up?

I have the same problem with Skype sounds, don't really care much, not that annoying.
unbehagen wrote:Does anyone have a solution for getting ati mobility X1400 to work without radeonhd? Can I use an Injector or EFI string to turn on the internal display? Did anyone find a solution for this?
From what I've read about X1400, you are stuck with RadeonHD. There's no other even remotely better solution.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

unbehagen

#131 Post by unbehagen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Silencer wrote: What do you mean by "fails to turn on display after sleep"? Does sleep lid indicator (small half-moon) stays on after you try to wake up?
No, the system fully resumes. No half moon. Full HDD activity, sound and everything. Just a black screen. I reported bugs to the Google Code page of RadeonHD, but no reply yet.
Silencer wrote: From what I've read about X1400, you are stuck with RadeonHD. There's no other even remotely better solution.
Well. For now, I have to live with these small quirks then. Thanks anyway for the fast reply - it is so hard to find this information. Everything is only documented in forums, sometimes in foreign languages. It's hard to keep track of it all.

Silencer

#132 Post by Silencer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

unbehagen wrote:No, the system fully resumes. No half moon. Full HDD activity, sound and everything. Just a black screen. I reported bugs to the Google Code page of RadeonHD, but no reply yet.
Oh my, I hate to be the only one with the Sleep problem :( Can you please upload your VoodooHDA.kext somewhere? Also, where do you have it, in /E/E or in /S/L/E?
Silencer wrote:Well. For now, I have to live with these small quirks then. Thanks anyway for the fast reply - it is so hard to find this information. Everything is only documented in forums, sometimes in foreign languages. It's hard to keep track of it all.
Yeah, I know. I had to dig through tons of forum threads to get where I am now with my T60p. That's why I'm trying to combine everything together into one guide.

Anyways, it's good that you have at least RadeonHD, because sometime ago there was nothing for X1400. RadeonHD is a great project, although it is not widely developed, which is a real shame.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

unbehagen

#133 Post by unbehagen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Silencer wrote: Oh my, I hate to be the only one with the Sleep problem :( Can you please upload your VoodooHDA.kext somewhere? Also, where do you have it, in /E/E or in /S/L/E?
Uhm, I posted it above, the rapidshare-link. I'm keeping in in both, actually. My S/L/E and /E/E is a total chaos. If I would have found this thread earlier, there would be more order.
Silencer wrote: Anyways, it's good that you have at least RadeonHD, because sometime ago there was nothing for X1400. RadeonHD is a great project, although it is not widely developed, which is a real shame.
Actually, I'm currently finishing my computer science degree. I should be able to contribute to the project - after I finish my thesis in May, that is. I have no experience with Mac kernel extension development, but it's certainly interesting enough.

plastikman

#134 Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Silencer wrote: Scratch that, looks like the problem is not in EDID. Image flickering appears when I try to boot with Refresh Rate set to 60Hz. If I switch it to 50Hz, it works fine.

plastikman, can you please check which Refresh Rate you have and if it is set to 50Hz, try to boot with 60Hz?

Also, as far as I understand, you have Sleep working fine with VoodooHDA. This is another mystery to me, because I never managed to wake my T60p up when using VoodooHDA. Can you please compile and upload the full /Extra contents and any kexts you have in /S/L/E? Also, if possible, post a dump of your kextstat and full dump of IORegistryExplorer. I really want to compare your and mine to see what can I do about Sleep.
are you setting a display mode in the com.apple.boot.plist? when i did that i noticed the FB was kinda weird. i am going out of town this weekend and will have limited access to hacking at my thinkpad but will post the requested info by mondayish.

i posted all kexts that i have in /E/E earlier and i am only using voodoohda and lidsleep in /S/L/E

unbehagen

#135 Post by unbehagen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Here is my configuration. It's not optimal, but it works.
http://rapidshare.com/files/376359727/myconfig.zip (don't worry, no rapidshare waiting, it's a paid-for link, so no premium or waiting needed.)

included: my voodoohda, ls -lisah of my /E/E and /S/L/E, dsdt.aml, boot.plist, ioregistryexplorer file, kextstat . hope it helps somebody. if you have any tips on what extensions i can safely delet, please drop me a line - thanks.

update: i should probably mention that i'm using 32bit mode, not 64. forcing this in my boot.plist file.

plastikman

#136 Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:24 pm

plastikman

#137 Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:27 pm

I tested on 60 HZ and see exactly what you are talking about.

50 HZ is just fine.

Silencer

#138 Post by Silencer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 am

plastikman wrote:i posted all kexts that i have in /E/E earlier and i am only using voodoohda and lidsleep in /S/L/E
Well, looks like you have some other kexts you forgot about - PS2 kexts, for example, are missing from your /E/E pack.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#139 Post by Silencer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 am

plastikman wrote:I tested on 60 HZ and see exactly what you are talking about.
50 HZ is just fine.
Great, it is better to have a reproducable problem with workaround than something that happens randomly. Anyways, your V5200 solution is really great, because you don't have personal EDID embedded into EFI. This means that it is universal (or close to it).
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

plastikman

#140 Post by plastikman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 am

oh yeah actually you are right the ps2 kexts were in /S/L/E :)

here is the ioreg that i used to make the EFI string incase you want it

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdfr9b

Silencer

#141 Post by Silencer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm

plastikman, I've noticed another minor problem with ATI1600Controller. It reduces brightness one level down after some time. It is almost random, but rather annoying. Do you have similar problem?
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

plastikman

#142 Post by plastikman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Silencer wrote:plastikman, I've noticed another minor problem with ATI1600Controller. It reduces brightness one level down after some time. It is almost random, but rather annoying. Do you have similar problem?
Yes I have the same issue...I am not sure how to resolve it either since in the BIOS I have set my configuration to always be bright. Maybe the efi string needs to be tweaked? I had not spent much time on it as I am OK with just hitting the brightness keyboard shortcut :)

Silencer

#143 Post by Silencer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 am

plastikman wrote:Yes I have the same issue...I am not sure how to resolve it either since in the BIOS I have set my configuration to always be bright. Maybe the efi string needs to be tweaked? I had not spent much time on it as I am OK with just hitting the brightness keyboard shortcut :)
Ok, good to know we are at the same page :) I will look into EFI to try to find something that can help us.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Blue Thunder
Freshman Member

#144 Post by Blue Thunder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:33 am

Awesome, I've now got no mouse tearing, thanks for the fix. When I first booted the display was set at 60Hz and looked quite horrible, but after switching to 50Hz everything was perfect.

As for the brightness issue, are you're sure it isn't due to OSX automatically dimming the display after a certain period of inactivity? (So far I haven't run into it, but that might be because I don't use OSX much).

One other thing, I tried your VoodooPS2Controller kext (http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=86059) and it works fine except when using the trackpad. It seems to want to scroll rather than move the cursor. Not really an issue for me since I use the trackpoint.

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed the issue by turning off "Use two fingers to scroll" in the Trackpad section of the System Preferences.

Silencer wrote:It looks like the fix for bad temperature was an easy one. I've checked in MSR Tools, and speed step was not working - always max frequency (2.33GHz).

Then I've checked the difference between my legacy kext (block ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/IOPlatformThermalProfile) and /S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacBookPro2_1.plist which is the one I use as a reference. And the difference was in CtrlLoopArray/0/StepDataDict/SP1 block. It is usually the same across all models, but it was changed in 10.6.3. After update and restart temperature has fallen back to normal.
Heh... this has been stopping me from updating to 10.6.3, how exactly do I apply this fix?
BT - R50, T60p, X60T.
"Freshman"!? I ain't fresh... :P

Silencer

#145 Post by Silencer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:49 am

Blue Thunder wrote:Heh... this has been stopping me from updating to 10.6.3, how exactly do I apply this fix?
You can use my latest /Extra archive, it has this fix in LegacyT60p.kext already.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Blue Thunder
Freshman Member

#146 Post by Blue Thunder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 am

Oh I didn't realise that, thanks.

Also my machine won't sleep - well it does, its just that it wakes immediatley after. I initally had that hardware security device error but fixed it with that terminal command back on page 4. This is using your VoodooHDA and unbehagen's one.

Console gives a whole bunch of output, referencing FakeSMC (something about a key not being found) and the reason for waking as being "USB1 USB7", whatever that means.
BT - R50, T60p, X60T.

Silencer

#147 Post by Silencer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Blue Thunder wrote: Console gives a whole bunch of output, referencing FakeSMC (something about a key not being found) and the reason for waking as being "USB1 USB7", whatever that means.
You can ignore FakeSMS errors, the problem is with USB. You need to try to patch USB in your DSDT. Check patch #6 here.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Blue Thunder
Freshman Member

#148 Post by Blue Thunder » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 am

Hmmm, I've already got a patch in there. It's the same one from your guide, however the patch from the ProjectOSX link shows different code with different values. Is the code in your guide an older fix?

Not sure if I should just copy/paste the whole thing (code from ProjectOSX) in there or not. I'll probably wait till you've sorted everything out first.
BT - R50, T60p, X60T.

Silencer

#149 Post by Silencer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 am

Blue Thunder wrote:Hmmm, I've already got a patch in there. It's the same one from your guide, however the patch from the ProjectOSX link shows different code with different values. Is the code in your guide an older fix?

Not sure if I should just copy/paste the whole thing (code from ProjectOSX) in there or not. I'll probably wait till you've sorted everything out first.
I didn't patch my USB, because it works fine for me (USB-bus has the same IDs as original Apple hardware). You also need to try to go sleep without any plugged USB devices. Please mind, fingerprint reader is also USB device, but it never gave me any problems.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Blue Thunder
Freshman Member

#150 Post by Blue Thunder » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 am

Um ok... well your guide tells me to do this:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0xC5, 0x27, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

And that ProjectOSX guide tells me to do this:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0f)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00 //the values below
},
"AAPL,clock-id", // property needed for sleep support
Buffer (One)
{
0x0a
},

"built-in",
Buffer ()
{
0x00
},

"device_type", //not sure it is useful
Buffer (0x05)
{
"EHCI"
},

"AAPL,current-available",
0x04B0,
"AAPL,current-extra",
0x02BC,
"AAPL,current-in-sleep", // to solve a problem with sleep when stick is inserted
0x03E8,

Buffer (0x01)
{
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Both patches appear to apply to the same bit of code...

Hmmm, wonder why your USB-bus's have the same IDs as a macbook and mine don't.
BT - R50, T60p, X60T.