Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My X31 OS X 10.4 experience.

OS-X on ThinkPads
j0z3

My X31 OS X 10.4 experience.

#1 Post by j0z3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 am

Hey guys! recently I purchased a x31 2672-CBU( even tho It has 2672-JHU wifi card and 1gig of ram) And I'm actually very happy with this thinkpad!
I am an lightly experienced overclocker and Im very familiar with desktop hardware and I'm always looking for the best hardware combination for the best performance, this laptop is an excellent performer and Pentium M really is very fast.

I had the intention of installing OS X on this laptop because I feel it is very comfortable to use and the apps are straightforward. I ended up with JAS 10.4.8 because OS X Tiger is the highest compatible OS X version with my GFX( Radeon 7000) even tho Ive been having a few problems trying to enable QE and CI on this laptop... Youtube videos are kinda choppy and its not very nice to have, other than that everything is working( aside from WIFI card, I have a WUSB600N attached for internet tho).

Can you guys help me out to install the Radeon 7000 ktexts so I can have QE and CI alive?
Ive searched thru the net but it seems only for radeon 7500

heres a screen capture of the lovely desktop. Windows XP is just so boring.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/313/picture1zca.png

j0z3

Re: My X31 OS X 10.4 experience.

#2 Post by j0z3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 am

no help :(

wolfchimneyrock

#3 Post by wolfchimneyrock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:34 am

j0z3 wrote:Hey guys! recently I purchased a x31 2672-CBU( even tho It has 2672-JHU wifi card and 1gig of ram) And I'm actually very happy with this thinkpad!
I am an lightly experienced overclocker and Im very familiar with desktop hardware and I'm always looking for the best hardware combination for the best performance, this laptop is an excellent performer and Pentium M really is very fast.

I had the intention of installing OS X on this laptop because I feel it is very comfortable to use and the apps are straightforward. I ended up with JAS 10.4.8 because OS X Tiger is the highest compatible OS X version with my GFX( Radeon 7000) even tho Ive been having a few problems trying to enable QE and CI on this laptop... Youtube videos are kinda choppy and its not very nice to have, other than that everything is working( aside from WIFI card, I have a WUSB600N attached for internet tho).

Can you guys help me out to install the Radeon 7000 ktexts so I can have QE and CI alive?
Ive searched thru the net but it seems only for radeon 7500

heres a screen capture of the lovely desktop. Windows XP is just so boring.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/313/picture1zca.png
Before windows7 came out I had Jas 10.4.8 on my X31 ... The procedure to get Quartz Extreme working was complicated, but I did finally get it working. Core Image will never work. What got me though was that application updates (like iTunes and safari and chrome) which I needed for my new ipod classic 6.0 required a newer version of tiger, and you couldn't update from 10.4.8 and keep the hacked video driver ... so really using 10.4.8 on the X31 is severely limited unless you have a killer app that works for that version. the version of safari you can use is pretty slow compared to the current one which is as fast as chrome.

in comparison getting the vista radeon 7500 driver working on windows 7 was way easier and my computer can use automatic updates

oh yeah the original network card didn't work with 10.4.8, but I got an atheros card from ebay, and flashed my x31 bios with the one with a SLIC 2.1 and no whitelist from mydigitallife.

if you are trying to get the quartz extreme working still, the biggest thing for me was not the kexts themselves but remembering to reset the permissions ... chmod 755 root ... and editing the text files with your radeon PCI identifier string, and changing the quartz required vram to 8mb.

j0z3

#4 Post by j0z3 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 pm

wolfchimneyrock wrote:
Before windows7 came out I had Jas 10.4.8 on my X31 ... The procedure to get Quartz Extreme working was complicated, but I did finally get it working. Core Image will never work. What got me though was that application updates (like iTunes and safari and chrome) which I needed for my new ipod classic 6.0 required a newer version of tiger, and you couldn't update from 10.4.8 and keep the hacked video driver ... so really using 10.4.8 on the X31 is severely limited unless you have a killer app that works for that version. the version of safari you can use is pretty slow compared to the current one which is as fast as chrome.

in comparison getting the vista radeon 7500 driver working on windows 7 was way easier and my computer can use automatic updates

oh yeah the original network card didn't work with 10.4.8, but I got an atheros card from ebay, and flashed my x31 bios with the one with a SLIC 2.1 and no whitelist from mydigitallife.

if you are trying to get the quartz extreme working still, the biggest thing for me was not the kexts themselves but remembering to reset the permissions ... chmod 755 root ... and editing the text files with your radeon PCI identifier string, and changing the quartz required vram to 8mb.
So, can you guide me through the process of installing the kexts and editing everything? I can follow any instructions.

wolfchimneyrock

#5 Post by wolfchimneyrock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 am

j0z3 wrote: So, can you guide me through the process of installing the kexts and editing everything? I can follow any instructions.
you should start with a brand new 10.4.8 install to remove any mucking about you might have done... and then follow these instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=60751

but the values will be different for the X31, the info is there is ioreg -l output

another thing to remember is to plug a vga cable or dongle into the laptop vga port, when it gets working but there is no cable plugged in you will only get a blank screen and think its not working, or you can jumper the appropriate pins.

you need the radeon 7500 pack, callisto006 and AGPGART 2.1