Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Resolved - Slow Reboot into XP from OSX on T43

OS-X on ThinkPads
Nick Y

Resolved - Slow Reboot into XP from OSX on T43

#1 Post by Nick Y » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 am

I am experimenting with Hacintosh on my T43 and have 10.5.1 installed on an external USB drive, which works fine. I have yet to try networking and wireless, but that can wait.

Before booting up in OSX I shutdown fully on XP and then retstart into OSX. At the end of using OSX I shutdown OSX, remove USB drive and start up -into XP.

The problem is that rebooting into XP is normal to start with, i.e. desktop comes up as per normal, but T43 seems to be running at slowest clock speed. I have NHC installed, but apart from a few system tray icons showing, e.g. process explorer, sound, TPFan Control, others like NHC icon, networking, mailwasher, etc. takes ages to return to normal operation.

I have tried shutting XP down with NHC set to max clock speed but this makes no difference. Boot order is set for USB to start before internal drive, but I have tried F12 as well. Process explorer doesn't seem to suggest any reason for being slow.

In this slow mode, firefox takes about 5 mins to start, whereas I can get Google Chrome to start fairly quickly and connects to the net, even though the network icon is till unavailable. After about 15 mins, by which time system tray is back to normal, Firefox starts and runs perfectly as does everything else.

Any thoughts or suggestions, please?
==============
Edit:
The problem was nothing to do with OSX, but something to do with my new Lexmark C543DN printer, which arrived at roughly the same time as I started investigating OSX. One of the printer utilities causes a 15 minute time out. Removing the utility removes the problem.
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG