Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

BIOS Problems with Lenovo N100 3000

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
zimo4321

BIOS Problems with Lenovo N100 3000

#1 Post by zimo4321 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:21 am

Dear All,

This might be the wierdest experience, but quite a lot of people online have the same problem.

Most people think that their N100 3000 USBs are underpowered. Other have experienced problems when pressing a keyboard button; the USB disconnects. After tons of research I have figured out that some of the Lenovo N100s out there have serious issues with their BIOS.

The solution to all this is to get the latest BIOS driver from the lenovo website (3.01) and upgrade the BIOS using the image in the Realtek folder (you would probably figure that out when you get the latest bios).

Now I am having a problem. Sound works perfectly on windows (thnx to Realtek drivers that lenovo did not put on their website and made me suffer the pain of trying to find them online (instead they put the incompatible soundmax)) with all versions of the BIOS except that when you plug in a jack the speakers still make a sound. Sound is also ok on Linux. (but the problem of the USB is still existing with the old BIOS).

Now upgrading to the new BIOS, Sound is perfect on windows (no problems with audio jack, nothing, everything is cool). but no sound at all on linux (I am a fan of Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu and I tried them all ) (and when I say no sound on linux, that means I did reinstall it tons of times, recompiled the darn kernel without ALSA support and installed the ALSA drivers separately, so basically I went crazy with that), but everything else (basics: WiFi, ethernet, graphics and other stuff) is ok !.

So in summary:
Old BIOS -> USB + Sound problems on Windows / Linux
New BIOS -> Life is cool on windows , [censored] on Linux.

This is to Lenovo - > Can't u just get it right from the first time :S

Ooh, and btw, I am gonna sue lenovo for this since I have already lost a USB hard drive due to the carelessness they are into.

Please comment,

Regards,

Zimo

truk

RE:Linux sound

#2 Post by truk » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:08 pm

I won't start on Lenovo, but for your sound problem, does it recognize the sound device at all, and is it high def?
http://www.truk.tk - 'Cause you've got nothing better to do.
RIP t30 2367-au5 October '07
t400 2764-CTO
7/OSX/Ubuntu
2.8GHz core 2 duo
4g DDR3
320g@5400rpm+160g@7200RPM
Led backlit and all the goodies

zimo4321

#3 Post by zimo4321 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:53 pm

it recognizes it
but no sound

senbros

solution

#4 Post by senbros » Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 pm

u can select ur soundcard from volume icon in task bar.. genrally vista selects spdf output...which doen't wrk ...jst click der and select your soundcard...it should wrk perfectly..i had same problem before bt no more

cheers
SEN
LENOVO 3000N100 CENTRINO DUO, 1.83 MHZ,1GBRAM,WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS

truk

RE:Sound

#5 Post by truk » Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 pm

He is looking to fix the problem in Ubuntu, not Vista. I think the solution is to uninstall the device and search for an alternative driver. Make sure it is being installed as a realtek. Sorry I haven't been able to do further research, I haven't started ubuntu in over a month.
http://www.truk.tk - 'Cause you've got nothing better to do.
RIP t30 2367-au5 October '07
t400 2764-CTO
7/OSX/Ubuntu
2.8GHz core 2 duo
4g DDR3
320g@5400rpm+160g@7200RPM
Led backlit and all the goodies