Haven't been posting in a while, changed jobs, started my own business and just a few minor complaints about my Thinkpads and 3000 N100
But now I'm wondering if I should stick with this 3000 or not. My Thinkpads have never failed me (apart from a bad HDD), but this machine is driving me nuts. I've had it from new and this has happened so far:
- top plastic around keyboard shows cracks just above the PC-card slot
- paint coming off around the edges of the fingerpad
- fingerprint reader only works within 10 seconds after Windows logon use (this is probably a software issue, never got it to work)
- annoying fan is always on and not controllable by the software mentioned here
- 3 keys spontaneoulsy broke off, unfixable
- spacebar works poorly, so do other keys now and then. After cleaning it works fine for 1 hour to a few days
- HDD was bad after just a few months
- had to sent back several memory sticks (Kingston)
- never got Bluetooth to work (not a big deal, but still)
- very poor battery life, capacity was down to just 15 minutes of flash-less surfing after 6 months of normal use
Just for the record: the laptop spent about 98% of it's life in the same place! I used to be a software programmer and I'm not afraid of changing a front drive axle of my Volvo.
Besides from the "normal" issues with this thing (unreadable screen outside, sound from speakers really hurts my ears) I now stumbled upon a more permanent problem. The notebook won't take memory installed in the highest bank (=not closest to main board). I've had to sent back 3 memory sticks to Kingston (which were replaced under warranty) and decided to upgrade from 1,5G to 2G (since this is the max for this machine if I'm correct). Today I woke it from sleep and I noticed performance was poor (once again
). Checked the RAM: 1G... Tried all possible combinations (1 and 2 sticks in 2 banks). The second bank is not taking any memory. When I install just one stick in the top bank it won't boot at all, just a black screen with brief HDD and fan activity.
Conclusion: second bank broke
Can't find anything on the web, or this forum. I guess it must be a main board issue?
Is it worth to find a new main board and install it (can do it myself)?
Is it worth a shot to try Crucial memory?
Or shall I just destroy it wth a big hammer and get the frustration out of my system?
Any advice welcome!!