Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Need some info from someone with working N100 (not celeron)

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
richk

Need some info from someone with working N100 (not celeron)

#1 Post by richk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:05 am

I am having a problem with overheating and it appears the heatsink isn't doing its job. I set the machine up on its side with the fan up while it's running and the fan cover off. The fan starts to run, but the copper piece that is supposed to wicfk away heat stays cool. (just slightly warmer than room temperature) then the machine shuts down. I have already resetaed the heatsink with thermal grease. I need someone else to tell me if what I am feeling is normal. I would expect that by the time the machine shuts down, the copper piece should be too hot to touch comfortably.

truk

RE:heat

#2 Post by truk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 pm

With my experience on my friend's n100, it should be too hot to really set you hand on within a few minutes of running. It sounds like the thermal compound isn't doing its job. Don't take this the wrong way since it's a serious question and not an accusation, but do you have experience with re-seating heat-syncs (it sounds like you've done it before)? Are you sure the old stuff was completely clean, you had good quality compound, and you got a thin enough layer? Is your processor running at full speed? Try a tool like speedfan to watch your temps, processor speed, and fan rate. If it all checks out, it may just be doing its job better than most, and your CPU has an issue.
http://www.truk.tk - 'Cause you've got nothing better to do.
RIP t30 2367-au5 October '07
t400 2764-CTO
7/OSX/Ubuntu
2.8GHz core 2 duo
4g DDR3
320g@5400rpm+160g@7200RPM
Led backlit and all the goodies