Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

G530 Motherboard/CPU Upgrades?

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
Siorus

G530 Motherboard/CPU Upgrades?

#1 Post by Siorus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi all; hopefully this is the correct forum for this post. I did a bit of searching but I didn't turn up anything...

My girlfriend has a G530 that I just had to pull apart after it took a little bit of a swim. Aside from needing a keyboard nothing was damaged, but I noticed something interesting while I had it apart: Next to the northbridge there are what appear to be solder pads for a discrete GPU and vram. Thing is, I can't seem to find a single system that has a board with the same layout as the G530's that has a discrete GPU on it. Does anyone know if any other systems got this board with a GPU on it? If I can find a board with one I'd be tempted to throw it in the G530 just to say that I did.

Also, has anyone tried throwing something like a T9300 or T8300 in one of these things? The T4200 + Intel IGP + painfully slow hard drive conspire to give me an eye twitch whenever I get stuck using the darn thing and I'd kinda like to liven it up a bit. Yeah, ultimately for what I spend upgrading it (if it's doable) I'd be better off just getting her an i3/i5 system, but she's already got an i3 Fujitsu and that's not nearly as much fun anyhow. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
W700DS: QX9300 | FX3700 | 8GB | 120GB OCZ Vertex SSD + 500GB WD Caviar Blue | Digitizer + Color Calibrator
W500: T9400 | FGL V5700 | 8GB | 160GB Intel X25M G2 SSD
Desktop: 2x Xeon E5410 | 18GB | HD3870 | 3x 60GB OCZ Summit SSDs (RAID 0) + 1TB Seagate 7200.11