thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
IBM & lenovo legacy model ThinkPad support files are available on thinkpads.com.
including Hardware Maintenance Manuals, latest or final driver updates and more.
at: thinkpads.com

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:23 pm 

ok here is the problem....my Laptop stopped working after I unplugged it from a TV (HDMI cable, I shut down the laptop before I unplugged it and now I'm having problems) and now it wont boot up, the system restore program was pre-installed and it wont run ether Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool says all is fine as well. I have also used the Startup Repair (F8 menu), I think the laptop just screwed itself over thinking there is a TV in the HDMI slot but it doesn't fix it simply by plugging it back in, are there any other solutions to this because it was not a blue screen error.

on top of that w/e I use the CD/DVD drive to boot up it says there is an error even though I had just used the drive moments before I unhooked it from the TV, and I have far to much data saved to the HD to Partition it and install a secondary OP (don't even have 20 gigs free.... have more then 10gigs though so I know it isn't memory related)

this is my laptop for school so a quick response would be much appreciated as my Desktop can hardly run the programs needed for my class.

I was told by microsoft.com's help to go to a lenovo site to get help with this so if this isn't the right forum plz direct me to the right one because I don't want to pay 80$ for them to reinstall windows and hand it back to me while thinking "dumbass", on top of that I would like to try and save what I can from the laptop should it be scrap now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:32 pm 

Hi there,

If you are concerned about your data i would recommend buying a hard drive dock or enclosure from ebay or any computer shop to enable you to transfer your files to another computer. I always recommend backing up your hard disk before trying any recovery processes when a computer will not start correctly as it is often a sympton of your hard drive being about to fail.

I would suggest you download a version of Linux to make a live CD and try booting your computer WITHOUT the hard drive installed from that live CD.

If everything works fine in Linux, then i would say your hard drive has suffered a failure. assuming you burnt a set of recovery disks when you first got the computer, you should be able to buy a new hard drive and reinstall windows from that. If you don't have recovery CDs, then you should contact Lenovo Product Support.

X20 2662-38G 12.1" 98 RIP
T23 2647-4MG 14" 2K
T40 2373-KG9 14" XP Pro
2x = T41 2373-SG1 14" XP Pro
T42 2373-4TG 14" and 15" XP Pro
T42p/43 2668 15" XP Pro
X61 Tablet 7762-CTO Vista Buss