Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Rescue and Recovery Windows Prompt

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
rachellelynn03

Rescue and Recovery Windows Prompt

#1 Post by rachellelynn03 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi,

So hpoefully I can explain this as clearly as possible and if anybody knows how to get around this, it would be very helpful!

My Lenovo 3000 Laptop recently get some spyware. Using the Rescue and Recovery program, it said I could "rejuvenate" my system to get rid of malicious spyware, viruses, etc.

I backed up my files on the hard drive and chose the "Rejuvenate My Computer" Options. After it was a 100% complete it gave me a restart option which I restarted and now the error is that..

My hard disk is not configured properly. I tried to go into the Rescue and Recovery program during boot/start up by pressing the Lenovo Care button on the laptop but when I go into there it prompts me for a "Windows Password"

I've entered my only known Windows password and then I get an error message that says "no password was every configured, please configure a password"

Well, if I can't access my operating system then I can't configure a new windows password, does anybody know how to bypass this password prompt in rescue and recovery? I've tried everything but it says there is no record of a password so how is it going to prompt me for one?

I feel like all I need to do is to get back into Rescue and Recovery to recover my hard disk and restore all my files but it won't let me,

Anybody that can offer help it would be greatly appreciated~!

Thanks,
Rachelle

egibbs

#2 Post by egibbs » Tue May 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Try just pressing Enter at the password prompt.

rachellelynn03

Pressing Enter

#3 Post by rachellelynn03 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, I have tried that and it gives me the same message where "a password has not been configured, please configure a password"

I've also done the Forgot my password option and it tells me that it uses "recovery questions to retain my password but I have no recovery questions configured and to please configure recovery questions"

I swear it is a lose/lose situation here

egibbs

#4 Post by egibbs » Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 am

I've never done it, but some machines have an option to clear the security chip in BIOS. Try going into BIOS by pressing F1 at boot and see if you have it. Also not sure if clearing it will help with the issue you are having.

Might be time to call Lenovo.

Ed Gibbs

rajeshmangtani

#5 Post by rajeshmangtani » Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Rachelle,

Can you get to the "Windows Advanced Options" Menu?

You can get to that Menu by doing the following..

Shut Down your computer.
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key.
The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

For some machines, if F8 does not help, try using the DEL key instead.

Letme know if you can access this screen. ..everything depends on this.

Regards,
Kishore Thaakur