I am looking to buy a laptop for around £650-700 that will last me for the next couple of years. My last ThinkPad was the 600X which I had when I was a student and I was very happy with it. I feel that I would like a ThinkPad again as no laptop since has been the same.
I have been looking at the X220 and the T420 (with the higher res HD+ screen), however I am leaning towards the X220. I also want to make sure that I will be able to upgrade the laptop to Windows 8 upon release, so future Win8 driver support is important. I have a spare 128GB 7mm crucial M4 that I would like to install also.
I have seen new examples of each of these on eBay in my budget with Lenovo warranty.
I know that IB is coming soon (I am building new IB desktop this summer). However, I can't really be without a laptop until July though, also I imagine it will be several months until we see lower priced examples on eBay as you see with the current models.
I need some help to choose;
1. A portable laptop appeals, however I’m worried that the X220 may be too small. My colleague here in the office has a 12 inch HP work laptop and the screen seems very small. How comfortable is the X220 to use?
2. What are the chances of Win8 driver/utility support from Lenovo for both these models?
3. How quiet are these machines. I've seen some threads about fan noise. I plan to istall an SSD, so would like something quiet.
4. Will the X220 be easy to sell on in say 18 months time, the X220s on eBay seem to shift MUCH more slowly than the T420 (this surprised me).
5. Is there anything else that I should know about the X220?
Thank you, and I’m really looking forward to owning a ThinkPad again – I hope it will live up to my 600X