Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Using mobile broadband with X200 (Ericsson F3507g card)

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
STBickerton

Using mobile broadband with X200 (Ericsson F3507g card)

#1 Post by STBickerton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 pm

My cell phone provider (T-Mobile--USA) offers wireless broadband using a SIM card and either a laptop stick or mobile hotspot. I would like to know whether it is possible to utilize the Ericsson F3507g mobile broadband card installed in my X200 notebook. There is a SIM card provision, but when I insert the T-Mobile SIM card it gives an error message when I try to activate it with the Access Connections program. Is there software I need to download to be able to use this? Do I first need to "unlock" the mobile broadband card like I would need to unlock a cell phone that is locked with a competing carrier? The wireless hotspot I bought does not work well in the locations I need the wireless broadband so I would like to try the internal mobile broadband to see if there is improvement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Using mobile broadband with X200 (Ericsson F3507g card)

#2 Post by bill bolton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 pm

STBickerton wrote:I would like to know whether it is possible to utilize the Ericsson F3507g mobile broadband card installed in my X200 notebook.
You need to check what frequency bands the T-Mobile 3G service in the US operates on.... IIRC, T-Mobile in the US uses an North America only split band for its 3G that is not supported by any of the mini-PIC-E 3G cards.

Cheers,

Bill B.