thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:09 am 
Freshman Member

I am going to take a dive and swap an IPS screen from a lesser X220i into my other X220.

1. I have expressed my concern elsewhere (http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=99779) about the low-brightness of the IPS screen and the creamy/yellowy tinge - are these the norm? the brightness seems a lot lower than my current TN and at max 15, it is the equivalent of the TN's 11-12. But at least there is no ghosting or visible bleed as some have reported.

2. Is that a straightforward physical swap? The HMM seems to suggest so - it appears the different LCD's all use the same connector (a 40-pin one?).

Pls let me have your opinion as tomorrow is a public holiday over here and I was planning the swap then, rather than be at the beach!

What happens when ThinkPads die after years of loyal service, do they go to heaven?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:22 am 

The IPS screen is rated at 300 nits while the TN screen is rated at 200 nits, which is about average for a notebook screen. I haven't noticed any yellow or creamy tone on my X220i.

My guess would be it's a straight swap. They use the same cable and tend not to re-invent the wheel, but I suppose you won't know until you open it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 am 
Freshman Member

Fred, thx for your opinion.

For what's it's worth, I have this morning done the swap, which is in fairness quite straightforward and everything fell in place nicely; one just needs to be careful with the bezel so as not to break the clips - but the x220 is a marked improvement over previous models when it comes to disassembly and reassembly.

As regards my yellowish tinge, I have played a lot with the colour enhancements page in Intel HD settings and I have been able to get something closer to my liking, so my whites look whiter and not creamy but I just wished that a 300-NIT screen would have a colder colour temperature and be a bit brighter - although I know IPS is not as efficient as TN in terms of light transmission.

I can therefore now confirm that the IPS/TN swap is a simple conversion :banana: . The x220i is on the other hand happily running fine with its TN panel too :)

What happens when ThinkPads die after years of loyal service, do they go to heaven?