Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

storage overhaul (new SSD masata and new HDD (or SSHD?!?))

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
BIT_IFFY

storage overhaul (new SSD masata and new HDD (or SSHD?!?))

#1 Post by BIT_IFFY » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:14 am

Hullo peoples,

I have a X220 i7 CTO4286 build (I dont really know what the CTO4286 means, but it relevant to my machine for some reason (i think) as they ask for that number alot on their web site, but I digress...)

I just bought a copy of Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate. Its a MASSIVE audio software package which is way to big for my hard drive alone (370GB compressed (roughly, i think) and delivered to me on a HDD) and is a great reason for me to overhaul my X220. Its sat on the receptionists desk at work waiting for me to collect it in the morning (it arrived just after I left this afternoon).
I'm going to install a msata SSD for the OS and programs (The options are the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB or the Plextor M5M 256GB), price isn't an issue as there $7 between them but if ones a better choice than the other in terms of smoothness of operation and behavioral reliability, (particularly the one that will behave the best in terms of audio manipulation, playback and rendering etc. No glitches or interrupts and so on.) then I'd like to know. Also consistency over time with regard to prior concerns. I know that I'm not going to get the full benefit due to the X220 msata being only sata2 capable, but its not a huge deal, it'll be fast enough, and being able to separate the software from the audio storage is the main benefit.

I also need to upgrade my bulk storage, I currently have the 320GB 7200rpm HDD installed from the factory. I need to replace this too as I need ALOT of room for the Komplete 9U audio samples and for any recordings made. These requirements dictate a 7200rpm HDD at the very least and the largest 7mm thick HDD's I can find are 500GB so I'm restricted to that.
But my question on the HDD front is; will a hybrid HDD/SSD (SSHD) be better or worse? I don't really know how they work. Will what I'm working with be buffered into the SSD or is there a functionality that looks at my overall usage and stores in the SSD what it thinks I will need?

What I need is good consistent functionality, using storage that has to change its behavior on what it thinks I'm up to isn't much good to me if its going to end up giving me glitchy audio. But will be very useful if it gives fast and smooth access to the audio files when required by the DAW/sequencer.

Tomorrow after work, I'll be buying one of the msata SSDs I mentioned (most likely the Plextor M5M just coz it has an extra 6GB), and a 7mm 7200rpm 500GB HDD (whatever's available out of a Seagate Laptop Thin or a Hitachi/WD HGST Travelstar Z7K500) unless I get some sound advice from someone here suggesting more suitable suggestionses :) :)

Anyway peoples, thanks for reading and I hope that some/any/one? of you can help me out with some info or an opinion (now now, I don't mean that sort of opinion!).

Regards,

IFFY :)

BIT_IFFY

Re: storage overhaul (new SSD masata and new HDD (or SSHD?!?

#2 Post by BIT_IFFY » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 am

Well I just got home from the shopping, I bought a Samsung 840EVO 250GB msata SSD and the Hitachi HGST Z7K500 500GB 7200rpm HDD. So imma have fun nerding out tonite with all this.

Someone may as well close this. As my shopping's been done, its all a bit redundant now :)

Atreides

Re: storage overhaul (new SSD masata and new HDD (or SSHD?!?

#3 Post by Atreides » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm

BIT_IFFY wrote:Well I just got home from the shopping, I bought a Samsung 840EVO 250GB msata SSD and the Hitachi HGST Z7K500 500GB 7200rpm HDD. So imma have fun nerding out tonite with all this.

Someone may as well close this. As my shopping's been done, its all a bit redundant now :)
I think you made the right choice! Enjoy, imo it's the perfect combination for a laptop.
Current: 13 (1st gen) - i3-6200U - 8GB - 128GB - FHD (Got it for $250 :D )
Previous: X60s | X200s | X230 | X240sx | X1 Carbon (3rd) | TPY260 | X1 Yoga (1st)
Projects: 560 | 600E | T21